Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for a motorised Auto - Tracking mount

Hello :-)

i ve had a 130 heritage dobsonian telescope for about a year now and I would like to purchase a different mount so that I can have more freedom and options while stargazing.

i need an altazimuth mount ( not an equatorial) that I can manually manipulate and at the same time to be able to keep track of the object ( not necessarily goto but a computerised tracking fuction of some sort).

The reason I would like this is to be able to study an object for some time and also perhaps use it to attach a smartphone or DSLR for some basic photography.

I would also like the mount to be compatible with my 130 heritage tube and also potentially for a larger aperture ( I was thinking of buying a schmidt cassegrain 6 inch tube some time in the future so it would be nice to be able to use it with this mount)

Finally , it is important for me , if it is a goto, to be able to handle it manually as well without it losing its whereabouts , because I really enjoy looking for things manually instead of having the computer do it.

Do you think I could find something like that?

I did some research and I found two possible solutions

1.http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarBlast-AutoTracker-Altazimuth-Mount/p/102781.uts

But I am not sure if it can fit my heritage tube or bigger

And

2. http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarBlast-AutoTracker-Altazimuth-Mount/p/102781.uts

But I am not sure if I can handle it manually as freely as I would like to and it is a bit expensive

So, what do you think?

Do you have any other suggestions. I would really really appreciate your help

Thank you :-)

Clear skies

Hi,

[...]i need an altazimuth mount ( not an equatorial)[...]

[...]that I can manually manipulate[...]

[...]and at the same time to be able to keep track of the object ( not necessarily goto but a computerised tracking fuction of some sort).

Finally , it is important for me , if it is a goto, to be able to handle it manually as well without it losing its whereabouts , because I really enjoy looking for things manually instead of having the computer do it.
Do you think I could find something like that?

IMHO, those 3 statements above rule each other out. You can't have all of the 3 stated properties. Pick any two of them and the third will not be achivable without spending a fortune. Here's what I think:

• AltAz, free manipulation: Dobsonian or forkmount -> no tracking abillity
  • AltAz, tracking: One of Meades AltAz mounts or (but I don't know for sure) AZEQ5 or similar -> no free manipulation, although if you are happy to control the slew via a handbox, you're fine.
  • Tracking, free manipulation: EQ5 (or similar) with motorized RA axis -> no AltAz

If I was you I would make myself familiar with an eqatorial mount and go for option 3.

Clear skies ... Lars

My virtuoso mount does all three plus GOTO using my tablet and a Bluetooth adaptor.

However it is table top and the heritage is on the limit of the weight it can carry.

This mount can keep track even if the two clutches are disengaged and the mount is moved manually when the clutches are re tightened it can pick up tracking.

If the weather would improve I shall finish setting mine up and get to use it!

Are none of the skywatcher AltAz tracking mounts the same function as the baby virtuoso?

The big difference is the payload the second one is nearly double which suggests the tripod might be sturdier as well as the motors. Heavier payload opens up bigger telescopes not longer but heavier. Probably explains the price difference.

I would suggest you down load and read the user manual to find out if you can move the telescope by hand on that tripod head.

My virtuoso mount does all three plus GOTO using my tablet and a Bluetooth adaptor.

However it is table top and the heritage is on the limit of the weight it can carry.

This mount can keep track even if the two clutches are disengaged and the mount is moved manually when the clutches are re tightened it can pick up tracking.

If the weather would improve I shall finish setting mine up and get to use it!

Are none of the skywatcher AltAz tracking mounts the same function as the baby virtuoso?

The virtuoso was the first one I found and really liked. It is like the orion starblast autotracker mount, but the latter is a also a tabletop that can be fitted on a tripod as well, that's why I picked it out of the two.

However, my concern is that the heritage tube won't fit , or that I will encounter problems, especially if I get a bigger one in the future. have you tried it with another tube , or do you know anyone who has?

:-)

The big difference is the payload the second one is nearly double which suggests the tripod might be sturdier as well as the motors. Heavier payload opens up bigger telescopes not longer but heavier. Probably explains the price difference.

I would suggest you down load and read the user manual to find out if you can move the telescope by hand on that tripod head.

It says and I quote

"One of the great features of StarSeeker IV telescopes that sets them apart from previous StarSeeker versions is the abil- ity to move the mount by hand as well as electronically with the hand controller. That is, after the initial GoTo star alignment, the telescope can be moved by hand without losing the align- ment. This can come in handy when slewing to target objects. For instance, if you know the object you want to observe is on the other side of the sky from where your telescope is currently pointed, you could move it most of the way there very quick- ly by hand, then use the hand controller to finish the precise pointing electronically using the GoTo command."

That means you can move it manually, but can you tell if this means that if I move the telescope to an object by hand, I must always use the Goto as well for it to track it ? or will it be tracking anyway, wherever I point it?

It says and I quote

"One of the great features of StarSeeker IV telescopes that sets them apart from previous StarSeeker versions is the abil- ity to move the mount by hand as well as electronically with the hand controller. That is, after the initial GoTo star alignment, the telescope can be moved by hand without losing the align- ment. This can come in handy when slewing to target objects. For instance, if you know the object you want to observe is on the other side of the sky from where your telescope is currently pointed, you could move it most of the way there very quick- ly by hand, then use the hand controller to finish the precise pointing electronically using the GoTo command."

That means you can move it manually, but can you tell if this means that if I move the telescope to an object by hand, I must always use the Goto as well for it to track it ? or will it be tracking anyway, wherever I point it?

This mount is the latest version of the Skywatcher AZ GOTO which uses the dual encoder technology found on the Skywatcher goto dobs and the eq/az goto mounts so you can manually move the telescope on to the target without needing to press the buttons on the handset and the handset will still know where the telescope is pointing.

This mount is the latest version of the Skywatcher AZ GOTO which uses the dual encoder technology found on the Skywatcher goto dobs and the eq/az goto mounts so you can manually move the telescope on to the target without needing to press the buttons on the handset and the handset will still know where the telescope is pointing.

That was so very helpful , thank you :-) The mount is not a skywatcher though, it is the orion starseeker IV mount (http://www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/instructions/29542_06-15.pdf ) The same applies with this one I imagine!

I expect tracking is something you can turn off or leave on and once the mount engages tracking I expect will just carry on.

The heavier pay load mount should carry that 6SE SCT you mention, the paylod is 13 pounds roughly and that OTA is 9.9 lbs on a google search plus eyepeice and diagonal etc.. The more expensive mount in the blurb said 'With a telescope payload capacity of 13 pounds...'.

I would be googling to see if anyone has tried the mount with different telescopes.

The link http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-GoTo-Altazimuth-Mount-amp-Tripod/p/113920.uts

you gave has two videos to watch. Look in the Video Gallery tab.

and here http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-GoTo-Altazimuth-Mount-Tripod/p/114480.uts

for the manuals.

I guess first hand experience is best to find out how well/easy is the mount to push by hand in both axis.

Yes, that would be very useful but I don't think I will be able to see it before I buy it. Actually, There aren't many mountings that have similar functions. It looks quite easy to handle though in you tube videos I saw. And I don't think I will have problems with tubes up to 6 kg. however, it is a rather expensive choice( 500 euros!) and I was hoping to find sth cheaper ( around 300 euros) but now it seems like I have no other choice.

Thank you for your help

Clear skies :-)

The first link you gave does up to 7.7 lbs, 3.5 kilos is under the weight just of the 130p heritage. My mount takes up to 4 kilos so I just get in.

What about keeping an eye out for second hand you might get a different OTA in a second hand sale with the mount.

It's a pity you can't find out more about if your telescope would fit and how the move by hand works to make sure you can do what you want to do.

Archived