NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Perfect Number of Eypieces?

Paul73

So does wider FOV = Smaller number of eyepieces?

Could be something to do with getting the max usefull magnification whilst framing an object(s)? With the really wide eyepieces, the framing issue reduces as with 100°, you can get pretty much anything in field.

Paul

It's as good a reason as any. I bought my two ES 82s on this basis, 6.7mm can fit the whole disc of the Moon in my Tal RS and the 8.8mm does the same for the Prinz. They also serve as good medium to highish power EPs in my Borg mini.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I bought my 15", David Kriege from Obsession kindly sent me a letter, and suggested the following EP advice:

Best 3 EP set for the 15" f/4.5:

26mm Nagler, 13mm Ethos, 6mm Ethos

Best 4 EP set: as above, adding the 21mm Ethos [ :) Estwing! ]

Other than that, he recommended an O-III and Interstellarum.

getting the 21E..kills off the Nag26mm...so here we are again at 3!

I had 4 hours last night with a stunning sky and the Dobsonian and I counted the use of 4 eyepieces. Sadly for anyone thinking, that's not so bad is it, the cheapest one weighs in at 460 quid so not exactly an everybody option. The 31mm Nagler is a wonderful finder eyepiece in this scope, I nearly got rid of it a few months back and the Ethos range come into their own on these scopes.

Alan

that's a heck of an expensive finder Alan!...telrad,finder,21 ethos your done Not being rude but is it your lack of experience with a dob that makes you use this ep as a finder?...like I say pls don't take offence

that's a heck of an expensive finder Alan!...telrad,finder,21 ethos your done Not being rude but is it your lack of experience with a dob that makes you use this ep as a finder?...like I say pls don't take offence

I have been known to use a TeleVue Pronto with a Nag 31mm and no diagonal as a straight-through finder. I didn't buy them for that purpose but when using other scopes on the same mount they provide a very nice way of finding what I am looking for :cool:

Not sure how tongue in cheek that remark is Calv mate, Even though I am goto, until recently I used my SWA 22mm as my main EP until target is found. However I have recently switched to a ZWO scope (F4.67-280 FL) mini frac to check my location after goto. My goto accuracy is not what it used to be. Watch this space for separate thread soon on that if things continue as they are.

PS, plus side is it justifies me keeping a 15mm EP for the ZWO scope  :grin:

Steve

Archived