Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula, DSLR

Tommohawk

Having recently moved to new pastures/skies, and finally unpacked most of our stuff, I thought I'd give M16 a go before it disappears completely.

I now have a much wider view of the sky -  but there is a big tree to the north and another to the south, so polar alignment is a bit tricky, and objects low to the south horizon get interuppted for an hour as they pass the meridian. I could get around this by pitching the other side of the south tree, but this needs a very long extension, and a bigger hike with the kit - for the future maybe.

Had a real nightmare with the GoTo - it seem to get it horribly wrong when low to the horizon, and consequently only got 6 decent 8 minute subs. Also the guiding was horrible - something odd has happened since re-assembly. Or maybe that's just because its lower, but the Dec and RA RMS errors were 0.5 ish which is double the usual figure.

I spent a good while getting it centred as I still dont have a coma corrector, but discover that theres a lot of nebulosiy lower down so would have been better set a bit different. Had another go the following night but although I got more subs, the quality was worse - low haze I guess. 

And, it seems the price you pay for a nice dark sky is lousy broadband!! Three weeks to get hooked up to a slow, expensive service.... Still got another 10 days to wait. Grrr. So, this is a lowres image - on my screen it looks way better! (kidding) I reckon its not bad but would have been better for more subs and better guiding.

Enough with the excuses...!

6 lights at 8 mins ISO800, library dark/flat/bias, DSS and Paint.net.

What do you think?

post-33831-0-07012200-1441970229_thumb.j

And, it seems the price you pay for a nice dark sky is lousy broadband!! Three weeks to get hooked up to a slow, expensive service....

Nice picture.

Rural and internet (and even mobile signal) are mutually exclusive it seems!

BT say I should be grateful for my crackly land-line in Powys........

Archived