NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BRT (telescope.org) - poor image quality!?

MartinFransson

I´m very dissappointed right now. Signed up for a subscription to telescope.org to get some high quality (or so I thought) data for when I can´t image myself due to bad weather etc.

Today the first two images came in and I´m not going to use them for sure.

Firstly, the resolution is poor. 1056*1027 pixels... do they use a webcam? I would have expected at least an 8 Mp CCD but maybe I should have done my homework better? Couldn´t find any info on what equipment they use.

Secondly, there were ugly spike in the images. Not the kind I´m used to seeing in images from Newtonian reflectors but something even worse. Se attached screenshot where I have done a STF in PI. Without STF only the spikes are visible.

I unsubscribed right away and I won´t be going back there.

Are there any remote telescopes that offer high quality imaging at a reasonable price?

post-45229-0-68057600-1441713479_thumb.j

This is normal performance for this type of CCD camera. The BRT is a great instrument and is capable of scientific results. The CCD is very sensitive. But it is also capable of producing nice images. It's a matter of setting the exposure to minimise bleeding on bright stars. Some software can help you remove the effects as well.

As others have said, the spikes are known as "blooming" which is cause by a pixel well filling up with electrons and "spilling over" onto other photosites in the same column. Consumer grade cameras use anti-blooming gates which prevent this. The reason why professional grade cameras don't use these is that the ABG will cause the response of the pixel to become non-linear once they get near to saturation.  As these cameras are used for photometry the last thing that is desired is for a non-linear response which would skew the data.

Don't obsess too much about the resolution either. Many, many outstanding amateur astrophotos were 9and are) taken using cameras like the Atik 314+, which uses a 1392 x 1040 sensor

http://www.astrobin.com/gear/4770/atik-314l/

Multi megapixels are the domain of DSLR and mobile phone camera marketing departments......

Archived