Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite Star Atlas

I've just been reading the topic regarding the Millenium Star Atlas and wondered what the favourite is among members. I've already mentioned Sky & Telescopes 'Pocket Sky Atlas' I bought recently but I also have a recent edition of Nortons Star Atlas as well as an old edition of epoch 1950. Nortons, however, I don't recommend at the telescope. Probably the best star atlas is the one you use the most! John :angry:

When observing away from the house i like to use "Stars and Planets " by Ian Ridpath. Full of good maps and information, and fits nicely into my coat pocket. If I'm observing from home i use "Skywatching" by David Levy.

And to plan observing sessions i use "Norton 2000" and " Turn left at Orion."

Phillc :wave:

My most frequently used reference for star maps is Starry Night program. Out in the field I've been known to use a planisphere (Philips 12", 51.5°N), but of course such a thing doesn't tell you where many DSOs are...

Andrew

On my laptop I use Cartes du Ciel.

I do have Norton, Uranometrica, The Webb Society Star atlas and Iain Ridpaths book.

Out in the garden I use the the Webb Society atlas and the Collins guide.

I always travel with Iain Ridpaths book a very under-rated guide IMO.

Cheers

Ian

Starry Night Pro is my main reference. In the field I've been using Phillips deep sky chart but it only lists the main objects and the scale is too large for star hopping.

I've had a Tirion's Sky Atlas 2000 for a number of years but I always forget I have it. I'm reluctant to use it out in the field though as it's in pristine condition.

I really should make some time to print off some charts from SN Pro and get them laminated.

My most frequently used reference for star maps is Starry Night program. Out in the field I've been known to use a planisphere (Philips 12", 51.5°N), but of course such a thing doesn't tell you where many DSOs are...

Andrew

You are higher up than 51.5°N Andrew, so I assume that is the minimum Northern latitude of the sphere you refer to. :angry:

Ron.

Archived