Last night's effort

RobertI

Finally got out for my first EAA session since November 2014! The evening was pretty fraught, it took a long time to set up and clouds were coming and going. My plan was to observe some Caldwells, but I started with M57 to test the setup (RC6 @F9). Unfortunately M57 is all I managed during the night! I thought I would compare the captures using the RC6 with the captures using the C8 last year. To my amazement I discovered that the captures with the C8 were taken exactly 12 months ago to the hour! Anyway comparisons are below, I think it is clear that the C8's bigger aperture reveals more detail, although seeing, focussing, collimation, tracking, etc, could have all made a difference:

post-17401-0-31552500-1440408954.pngpost-17401-0-58364900-1440409371.png

Last time out I found that a quick sharpen in PS brought out tremendous detail, so tried the same on last night's attempt. I'm not sure that I went through the same sharpening process, but the difference is very striking and the C8 is even better:

post-17401-0-08689400-1440409309.pngpost-17401-0-87484100-1440409429.png

I also used a Bahtinov mask for the first time and found it very effective.

Any comments, observations, thoughts welcome.

I did try to navigate to get the Cat's Eye nebula before packing up and ended up on what looked like a brightish star, but I could not discern any shape or structure so assumed I had the wrong object so did not try too hard. On reflection I did wonder whether I had seen the right thing after all. Can anyone advise on how it might look with my setup??

Thanks

Rob 

Beautiful images. The C8 does have the edge, but you got an amazing capture with the RC6 as well. I've made some "entry-level" imaging attempts of M57 using the Orion 127 StarMax with Orion Starshoot Deep Space Camera II:

Thanks for sharing your images, Rob!

Cheers,

Reggie

Hi Rob,

Great work on M57!

I think you probably did see Cat's Eye. I looked up my list of captures and found one I took a while back with my SW 100ed. At 900mm FL, it would be a little shorter than your setup. Easy to mistake for a bright star. I think some long optics would be necessary to see any detail.

Don

post-36930-0-37017800-1440431718.jpg

Thanks Don, I'm pretty sure that's what I saw then as there was another bright star nearby as in your capture. I am thinking that although I did not save the image I probably have the individual exposures so I shall dig them out later and post. :) Sounds like an object to try with the C8 at native FL?

Rob

Archived