NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Box Hill for observing?

Has anyone used Box Hill in Surrey for observing?  It's fairly dark there, not as dark as the best bits of the South Downs, but much darker than London and most suburbs.  There's quite a few car parks but several of them have a lot of trees.  Has anyone observed there before?  And I don't mean couples in the car park!

Think someone tried it about 3 or 4 months back and said that it tended to be populated by assorted people at night so not exactly a quiet location.

With "box hill" in the subject they may read it and confirm or deny.

Not used  box hill myself, from being there in daylight I find the trees may be a bit intrusive.

I've used Headley down and Ranmore common many times, I find Ranmore a slightly better location. (denbies car park)

We used to have a few SGL members meet there regularly but meetings have kinda dried up of late :(  Maybe we should get them going again? 

Sounds like a good idea Steve!  Weather looks good for tomorrow night - I have another member of my local astro group up for it too.

Afraid I cant  make tonight

If you want to post anytime your heading out to observe in the Surrey section i'm sure we will  be able to arrange something :)

Have fun out there icon_salut.gif

Archived