Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

List of suitable DSO targets for a beginner

After a year of anticipation, I will finally go to the Alps next week for my first session under really dark skies !

This will be the perfect opportunity to put into practice what I've learned so far from all of you guys :)

So, in order to prepare I got this nice little piece of software + this FOV calculator and I started to chose some targets. I chose the easier one of course, but beeing a perfect noob these might be not suitable at all for me ... so I would like to hear from you and your experience in the field. I know it won't be easy and I did not set my expectations too high :) I just wish to enjoy the night sky and test my knowledge in the field.

Here is the list that I think might be suitable for me. They are classic targets, no surprise there I guess ;)

M31 (although it looks too big for my sensor, not sure I am ready for mosaics)

M57 (really small on the FOV calculator ... too small ?)

NGC7662 (Blue Snowball)

M27 (Dumbell)

Now is this realistic for my setup ?

SW 80ED with FF/FR

HEQ5 guided

Canon 1000D (modded)

All comments welcome :) I am open to any new targets you might think are worth the shot as I will only be there for a week and won't return for another year ...

That being said, I am 80km away from Olly's so next year I'll book with him instead...

What sort of kit are you taking with you?

I will be using an SW 80ED with FF/FR on a HEQ5 guided (PHD) and a DLSR Canon 1000D (modded)

I'm using an old webcam to guide, works fine even under my LP sky here ;) so I guess that it will be fine under dark skies ..

I personally think that M31 (and most galaxies for that matter) are tricky although thats mainly down to processing I guess. I'd be thinking along the lines of targets that are Ha rich such as :-

i) Heart/Soul Nebulae

ii) Veil Nebula

iii) North America/Pelican Nebulae

iv) Perhaps the Crescent Nebula

Can you see a pattern here? :D I think Nebulae are ideal targets for dslr's but maybe others have differing opinions

Whatever you decide, try to avoid the temptation to capture too many targets. A couple of really great images will make you happier than a swag of so-so ones IMHO

Best of luck and enjoy :)

Oh, another target for dark skies is our own milky way with a short camera lens...worth a shot :D

I plan to image only 2 or 3 targets during the week and limit myself to only 1 per night as I want to try different settings and get to expirement a bit... Also, take the time to do some visual ;) as I don't get to go to the Alps often !

After a year of anticipation, I will finally go to the Alps next week for my first session under really dark skies !

This will be the perfect opportunity to put into practice what I've learned so far from all of you guys :)

That being said, I am 80km away from Olly's so next year I'll book with him instead...

Come and see us! Drop me a PM.

My advice is simply this: look at your FOV as you have done and, also, look at what is rising in the east as darkness falls. The lower it is the more time you will have before a flip, but if you are up for a flip then fine. But start in the east. The sky does what it does. You can't fight it.

Olly

Go for M57 - why? Because if I can photograph it anyone can!

1. It is very easy to find from Vega because you can easily hop along the very compact constellation of Lyra.
  2. It is very high up, so if you do have any LP it will be well clear
  3. It's reasonably bright, easy to see by eye and I found a 30-second exposure at 800 ASA and f8 scope gave a well exposed image.
  4. Even though it is quite small the ring is clear as a bell.
  5. you will whoop with delight when you get it - it's the sort of thing you really don't expect to be able to see or photograph before you get into this strange hobby!

Thank you all for your advices !

I've narrowed down my list and wiil ressearch the targets :) I find that it's even more interesting when you know about the target ... knowing that the heart nebula is 7500ly away while imaging it, adds to the awww factor

(1) Heart/Soul Nebulae

(2) Veil Nebula

(3) North America/Pelican Nebulae

I'll take my chance with M57 although it is reeeeeaaaallly small ... A galaxy would be nice too, M81 perhaps ?

Come and see us! Drop me a PM.

My advice is simply this: look at your FOV as you have done and, also, look at what is rising in the east as darkness falls. The lower it is the more time you will have before a flip, but if you are up for a flip then fine. But start in the east. The sky does what it does. You can't fight it.

Olly

I was thinking of swinging by while I am there next week and pay a little visit to have a look at your place if you don't mind... Unfortunatly I had already booked this place before I read about yours :( but I plan to book next year ...

• 4 weeks later...

Little update on this thread. Got back from the alps, still amazed by the clear skies :)

After carefully planning I ran into a couple of issues. The cold being one of them (I was surprised that it could get so cold even in the summer) but mostly the fact that there was a frigging full moon ! Now that was one big oversight when I booked the trip...

No Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy (Sun Tzu)

The other issue was that on the first 2 nights I did not prepare during daylight. Very hard to set every thing up when it is dark and that you are freezing. On the first night I realized that polaris was behind the rooftop so I had to move up a little hill and when I got there everything was misaligned so I stopped and did a bit of visual. On the 2nd night I did not polar align properly and had a hard time guiding.

the 3rd night was better, I set everything up during daylight, then did a PA when Polaris showed up and it was still clear outside. I was able to guide and I was excited to see that all my targets were dead center on the sensor when using the goto.

I have little to show for, but this is my first DSO ever and I am satisfied to see that the stars are roundish until the edge, that I was able to guide for 300s and that the target is centered.

My regret is that I only took 1 hour worth of light frame, I should have gone with more but it was really late and I was cold ;)

M31 (uncropped) / 12x 300s light frames ISO 800 / 5x darks / 5x bias / 5x flats

post-39102-0-04986200-1441709396_thumb.j

As this is the 1st time, I have a hard time evaluating if this suffers from (1) star bloating (2) guiding issues (3) bad focus .... Please comment and criticize, all advices are welcome.

Hi Vox- Image is very good. What you need is more data- loads more then you will begin to create the masterpiece you aspire to. Don't worry if another image seems better- there is always a better image somewhere. You might have seen my picture of the core of M31 I'm really proud of that- I see other peoples images & they are better in other ways but you get the satisfaction from people commenting on your work & that is truly a great feeling. So- stop feeling sorry for yourself & go & get that data- it's waiting for you (under that cloud that won't move).

Clear skies to you all.......eventually!

Archived