NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Homemade observatory dome + accessories

choochoo_baloo

My first dome had a lift off lower piece with a moulded overlap on the top segment. The top just rested on Teflon strip at the edges and was retained using internal wheels running along the inside edge.

The current one has a lower piece that slides under the top when pulled up using a cable..Again the top rides on a Teflon strip. I did design a shutter running on allloy edging but it gets complicated and frictional if not used sparingly.

Mike

Interesting project Choochoo but I don't see what size your dome will be - perhaps I missed it! Size matters and usually matched to the 'scope it is to house.

Down the years I've built 6 domes [never a ROR!] two each for club, self and buddy from 12ft to 6ft - the latter for my 12" SCT @ http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/mydome.htm.

If recommending a dome type today I'd go for an octagonal dome like my buddy Ron @ http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/rondome.htm- it uses regular sheet ply for the minimum cutting or waste and appear spherical in profile eg doesn't appear octagonal! It's weathered with modern acrilic paint direct on ply and works just fine. It has the classic up-and-over shutter [40%] parked on fixed back section [40%] with hinge forward front section [10%] with good view of zenith.

IMO as an architct bi-parting shutters can act as a sail and prone to yaw unless perfectly engineered. Keep it simple !

Good luck in your project ;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-30917100-1441182218_thumb.j

Edited by nytecam

Thanks Huw, yes that is exactly what I'm after. Could I just check that I've understood you correctly? Please see the attached sketch of your upper shutter in cross section.

attachicon.gifShutter1.png

If correct, I assume that you have no problems with smooth running/friction?

Yes, essentially correct. The shutter rides directly on the ali strip, without the blocks on top, I did not use any teflon between the two, but it slides relatively easily. In hindsight, a counterweight system would be useful, as it's quite a weight to control, and when fully open it has to be closed from the outside.

Huw

Hi choo choo -

the wheels just press against the inside lip. So the door slides o the outer rim and two arms come through the slot and hold wheels against the inner rim to stop the door blowing off.

The ones I have are the rubber tyred steel wheels from RS or Wixroyd, bought in a bag of 10.

Mike

Hi choo choo -

the wheels just press against the inside lip. So the door slides o the outer rim and two arms come through the slot and hold wheels against the inner rim to stop the door blowing off.

The ones I have are the rubber tyred steel wheels from RS or Wixroyd, bought in a bag of 10.

Mike

Great thanks Mike. Do you have any photos to hand of this shutter system - I'm not quite sure what you mean RE 'arms though the slot'?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Edited by choochoo_baloo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...