Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First dark site travel after summer break - half success

YKSE

Got the first clear sky after white summer, the Sun set 10 after 9, near midnight, it got dark around mid-night, SQM showed 20.8(NELM 6.0), still a little shy of proper dark (21.3).

A quick check on M13, M57 and M56, looks like alignment was quite spot-on, and transparency looked good, then tried the missing M6, M7, M69, M70, they were all under horizon,

Going to NGC6058, a small planetary nebula(23"x23") of mag 12.7, went up in around 130x, 4 to 5m/s wind made me still unsure, blinking with UHC filter was much more effective, nebula "brightens" relative to stars around :smiley:

Now NGC 6166, a  mag 11.7 galaxy of size 2.2'x1.7', up in about 130x again, with averted vision,  a oval patch could be detected.

IC4593, another even smaller planetary nebula 13"x13" of mag 10.7, the mount took longer time to slew to the target, with some silent pause inbetween, tried the same 130x, even up to 200x, also blinking with UHC, no positive identification. When trying to move around with key-pad, the left and right ones wouldn't move the mount :eek: Tried to slew to M57 again, nothing was in the FOV, tried NGC6992(the Eastern veil), the scope pointed to the ground :eek: , the battery was charged the day before, but it did failed last time too, so it's time for a new better one than leissure battery.

Since 120ED was in the car intended for the Veil, I replaced C8 with it, with 40mm Aero and Astronomik OIII in the focuser, pointing the scope to epsilon Cygni, moving down a little bit, then looking through the eyepiece, there it was, the Eastern Veil, right in my face :cool: Panning around the area for a good quarter, through NGC 6974/6969,Pickering wisp, then to Eastern Veil, and back, and again, really facinating view :smiley:

Archived