NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone had this problem with EOS utility & DSLR?

yelsac

Hi I'm getting a little frustrated with my Canon EOS 1100d.

I have been using the Canon Eos Utility to control my camera for astrophotography using the liveview & timer function which has worked a treat.

Now all of a sudden when I connect my camera to my laptop using a usb lead the EOS Utility doesn't come up & instead my laptop asks me what I want to do with my 1100d but doesn't open up the EOS utility or give that option!

When I try to open it up manually it tells me "eos camera connection app is already running" when it isn't!

I've downloaded the latest drivers & I have the up to date firmware, I've tried different usb leads & also tried on another laptop running Windows 7 & I get the same thing!

I don't understand why it has stopped working when it has been so good until now.

Any ideas??????????

thanks

Yes, had same thing and started a thread about it, i have it installed from disk on one laptop and it works, but tried downloading it on other lappie and it does what you describe................no idea why but given up on new lappie

Hi

I sometimes have problems with mine connected to a desktop. It's clearly a usb problem. I usually have to disconnect and switch off the camera, maybe fiddle with the cable and try again. With a laptop I've had to tape the usb cable/connector to the body of the laptop. I'm not sure how common it is, but with mine (Lenovo), the usb connection is too loose. Another problem with older laptops is whether or not the port supports 480Mbps (High Speed).

Louise

Probably USB problems.

Have you always used the same USB socket on your laptop?

Using a different one only once may set up a duplicate installation that could confuse matters.

Google for "show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager" - Windows lies, it doesn't show them all !

Find the Microsoft item that has an auto fix for this.

Now when you click on "Show Hidden Devices" in the Device Manager you may see lots of greyed-out items in COM ports, Imaging Devices etc.

Unplug your camera and then uninstall all instances of "1100D Camera" listed in Imaging Devices.

Also go CTRL-ALT-Del to bring up Task Manager. EOS Utilities should NOT be running in Processes until you have plugged in your camera.

Now when you plug in your camera and switch it on it should do a fresh install and bring up the small window that asks which software you want to use with this camera.

EOS Utilities should be offered, click on that and EOS Utilities should now run automatically each time you plug in.

And always use the same USB port !

Michael

Probably USB problems.
Have you always used the same USB socket on your laptop?
Using a different one only once may set up a duplicate installation that could confuse matters.
Google for "show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager" - Windows lies, it doesn't show them all !
Find the Microsoft item that has an auto fix for this.
Now when you click on "Show Hidden Devices" in the Device Manager you may see lots of greyed-out items in COM ports, Imaging Devices etc.
Unplug your camera and then uninstall all instances of "1100D Camera" listed in Imaging Devices.
Also go CTRL-ALT-Del to bring up Task Manager. EOS Utilities should NOT be running in Processes until you have plugged in your camera.
Now when you plug in your camera and switch it on it should do a fresh install and bring up the small window that asks which software you want to use with this camera.
EOS Utilities should be offered, click on that and EOS Utilities should now run automatically each time you plug in.
And always use the same USB port !
Michael

Thanks for the info I'll have to try that out

I've had the same issue lately for some reason. Worked fine for months then all of a sudden starts playing up. I downloaded the latest version from the Canon website to see if that helped. It did, sort of. I can now get EOS Utils to work when the lappie is freshly booted but once I close it I have to reboot if I want to go back in as I get the same "already running error".

Hi

Which AV software do you have? I run Norton Internet Security and, although it sometimes complains when installing new software, doesn't seem to have a problem with the Canon driver. I don't use the EOS utilities but APT installs and runs fine.

Louise

Hi

Which AV software do you have? I run Norton Internet Security and, although it sometimes complains when installing new software, doesn't seem to have a problem with the Canon driver. I don't use the EOS utilities but APT installs and runs fine.

Louise

Hi Louise

thanks for you replys

I have AVG antivirus software running on my laptop.

I really can't believe it would interrupt the canon software it hasn't done so before, it must be some update that stops it working!

Ah well all I have to do is disable AVG then start up EOS utility & turn AVG back on, its a bit of a pain but at least it works now.

All I need now are some cloudless skies ha ha!!

Hi Louise

thanks for you replys

I have AVG antivirus software running on my laptop.

I really can't believe it would interrupt the canon software it hasn't done so before, it must be some update that stops it working!

Ah well all I have to do is disable AVG then start up EOS utility & turn AVG back on, its a bit of a pain but at least it works now.

All I need now are some cloudless skies ha ha!!

Ahh

A Google search for eos utility and avg does turn up some references to a recent AVG update causing a problem No doubt AVG will sort it eventually. Do try APT though - it's free!

I see there's a new version recently released so I must download it too :)

Louise

Ahh

A Google search for eos utility and avg does turn up some references to a recent AVG update causing a problem No doubt AVG will sort it eventually. Do try APT though - it's free!

I see there's a new version recently released so I must download it too :)

Louise

Yes I must try it, what don't you get in the free version?

All I really need a zoom function something like liveview & a timer function so you can just set it up & leave it to take the number of pics you want.

Yes I must try it, what don't you get in the free version?

All I really need a zoom function something like liveview & a timer function so you can just set it up & leave it to take the number of pics you want.

Hi

You get virtually everything in the free version! You can setup exposure plans. It has focus tools, platesolving interface and lots of useful things!

Louise

Archived