Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there a way to predict clear night skies?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can either expect stars and be disappointed by clouds - or expect clouds and be pleasantly surprised with stars. The best weather prediction is the one where you step outside and look up immediately before a session (imho). :)

I use CO and it is OK but still falls over due entirely to the unpredictability of UK weather. I would think the same applies to the weather over Holland..being situated next to a large bit of sea.

Even examining chicken entrails, tea leaves and Tarot crards has on accasion proved more accurate than the Met office :grin:

I use the weather map on the Met Office website first, which you can specify to your location and comes with a map which you can set to show the cloud cover. I've always found this to be pretty reliable on the day. I then take a look at Clear Outside for some more astronomy specific information. But yes, for all of this it generally has to come down to sticking my head out the window and frowning at the sky.

After looking at various weather sites like Accuweather, it appears the Clear Outside is the best of the bunch.

Right now, Accuweather is telling me there is 70% cloud cover in Woking. I look out the window and it's clear blue skies.

When I looked yesterday, Clear Outside had cloud cover between 0%-20% for the whole of today

I use Clear Outside and the Met Office website, both the cloud forecast and the local one.

Most useful is looking at the past few hours on the satellite/IR - usually very easy to see what is coming and from where and if the cloud is thinning or thickening.

Archived