SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there a way to predict clear night skies?

I'd like to say that I'm sorry if this has been asked before.  Me and my girlfriend have talked about having a night of stargazing because we both love nature and we also love and are fascinated by the universe and the great beyond.

It's a really hot sunny day here today, not a cloud in the Sky.  I started taking her to this place that is really away from the city and hardly any light at all (I say that because there are a few farms in the distance but they don't give off much light.)

So is it possible to predict whether or not tonight will be a clear sky perfect, or close to perfect, enough to stargaze?  It saddens me that I've not seen a sky full of stars in such a long time and I'd really like to get into the whol stargazing and such.

Many thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried the weather apps?

ClearOutside from FLO (SGL sponsors, click on the banner at top) is a good resource. Just input your location. It will give you low/high cloud, astronomical dark period, precipitation...even ISS transits. Good stuff.

Obviously we can only go by predictions, but CO is of more use to astronomy than the usual or media weather forecasts.

The only other method that seems to work (mostly, lol) is waiting for a fullish Moon. Clouds don't seem to like it :)

Oops, forgot to say 'welcome' to SGL!

I'd like to say that I'm sorry if this has been asked before.  Me and my girlfriend have talked about having a night of stargazing because we both love nature and we also love and are fascinated by the universe and the great beyond.

It's a really hot sunny day here today, not a cloud in the Sky.  I started taking her to this place that is really away from the city and hardly any light at all (I say that because there are a few farms in the distance but they don't give off much light.)

So is it possible to predict whether or not tonight will be a clear sky perfect, or close to perfect, enough to stargaze?  It saddens me that I've not seen a sky full of stars in such a long time and I'd really like to get into the whol stargazing and such.

Many thanks!

In a reltively small country like the Netherlands the weather should be predictably more accurate than, say, here in SW France where the mountains and the conflict between Atlantic and Mediterranean weather systems cause all kinds of sudden changes.  If you Google weather (or Dutch equivalent) for your favoured location it should be accurate to within a few hours.  If it looks good, time to get your bike out and trundle off with your telescope in your trailer.  Dutch farmers may be friendly enough to tell you what conditions are like if you make contact with them.

Good luck

I find the best forecast is one you do yourself, by using the jetstream forecast, Sat24, and looking out of the window.

Jetstream:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

(if the stream is below the UK or where you are = rubbish astro weather, if its above = good astro weather)

Sat24:

http://sat24.com/en/gb

Not really, the Nederlands is small but like the UK the weather is changeable sort of hour by hour, you experience the same air masses above you as we do. Little more stable over by Hengelo, but I would say Groningen is variable. When I was in Alkmaar I realised that the numerous canels were to take the rain water away, we had a lot of rain.

Your "best" option is really to keep a watch on the relevant weather sites and see what theyare predicting.

Your winter period is normally clear as the wind comes from continental eastern europe, tends to be dry and so cloudless and also cold (very, very cold) but clear. One of the SGL members is in University of Groningen and he would very much like a way of predicting clear skies.

The "best" prediction would be if your weather office supplies a map giving wind direction then I would suggest you make note of days when the prevaling wind is from eastern, or south eastern, europe as from that direction the wind has a reduced chance of picking up moisture and so lesser chance of clouds.

I find the best forecast is one you do yourself, by using the jetstream forecast, Sat24, and looking out of the window.

Jetstream:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

(if the stream is below the UK or where you are = rubbish astro weather, if its above = good astro weather)

Sat24:

http://sat24.com/en/gb

Hadn't considered this - maybe coupled with Clear Outside it could improve accuracy - I will try it

Clear outside is a great app but like any forecast it can be wrong. I have has about 75% accurate with it which i think is pretty good.

An old photographers trick which can work and i have similar success is :

stand with back to the wind

turn 30 degrees clockwise

If the clouds are moving L to R a warm front is coming and weather is going to deteriorate

If they are moving R to L a cold front is coming and weather will improve

if they are moving back or away little or no change

You might look a bit mad though :)

Quite often they forecast a clear night here in the North, only for you to stick your head out at about 10pm and find that it has completely misted over. The forecasters seem not to mention things like that. It is just a case of take the opportunity when it arrives and not rely on forecasts at all :)

I look at 3 different weather forecasters.  If they all agree and say clear skies then I assume that there is a good chance that they are right, otherwise it is a matter of looking out the window and watching what is happening up above.  I would also suggest that you monitor the rain radar.  If you are in a showerly situation that might help in deciding whether it is likely to clear - turn the animation on.

I look at 3 different weather forecasters.  If they all agree and say clear skies then I assume that there is a good chance that they are right, otherwise it is a matter of looking out the window and watching what is happening up above.  I would also suggest that you monitor the rain radar.  If you are in a showerly situation that might help in deciding whether it is likely to clear - turn the animation on.

Yes, this ^   You cannot rely on one source, and I find ClearOutside hopelessly optimistic predicting clear skies (for where I am anyway). Even tonight it's says mostly clear between 23:00 - 04:00 which is laughable. The BBC Weather is probably the most reliable (tonight it says cloudy with rain at 01:00 am - which I believe is more likely than what ClearOutside is saying) but the BBC is also often wrong (their idea of 'clear' is not the same as mine!). Sat24 is good but you need to interpret what you see, the IR image doesn't show low cloud very well (because it is too close in temperature to the ground) and cloud doesn't just move with the wind it can seemingly evaporate or condense as temperature varies from region to region. We all become weather experts after a few years of cloud watching...

ChrisH

Another important point to note is to KEEP monitoring the forecasts as they are as changeable as the weather.  Thus yesterday the chances of clear skies tonight for me looked quite good, now they aren't quite as good.  Unlike 'proper' scientists weather forecasters don't make a prediction and stick to it.  When the Met get their shiny new computer all it will mean is that the forecasts change more quickly.

The shorter the "range" of the forecast the more accurate it is.... Rumour has it the met office are going to start issuing -1 day "forecast" to improve the accuracy.... :evil::grin:

Around here they seem to get the general trend of the weather ok but the timing way off..

Peter...

Archived