NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

* Windows 10 * - Should we be concerned?

Just a note :

The HOSTS file doesn't quite work as it used to in older versions (or should work as it does in linux for example),

since dnsapi.dll (responsible for DNS queries, the same queries that the aforementioned list is supposed to bypass - block ) , has certain MS domains white-listed.

That sounds like quite a dubious thing to do.  I guess it must bypass the hosts file for those domains or something like that.  There will be other ways around it, but nowhere near as convenient.

James

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like quite a dubious thing to do.  I guess it must bypass the hosts file for those domains or something like that.  There will be other ways around it, but nowhere near as convenient.

James

MS does that in the "interest of keeping you safe" :D

to be specific & in case someone is actually concerned with the contents of dnsapi.dll.

Just had a peek in it (File Version 10.0.10240.16384 Win10 ) it has white-listed the following domains

update.microsoft.com
download.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.com
windowsupdate.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com
validation-v2.sls.microsoft.com
activation-v2.sls.microsoft.com
www.technet.com
technet.com
technet.microsoft.com
www.msdn.com
msdn.com
www.msn.com
msn.com
go.microsoft.com
msdn.microsoft.com
office.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.microsoft.com
wustats.microsoft.com
support.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com
microsoft.com

Maybe there are more than those but its in unicode (might be hex as well some parts) .

Well wouldn't you know it - pre-registered a couple weeks ago and look what just popped up on my screen. Guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on this upgrade and hope for the best but wait - probably should do a complete back up of all my files first? Looks like it says you can start the process and choose to upgrade later so think I'll opt to upgrade after taking some more time to think this through. Still concerned about the drivers and software. Won't the OEM's need some time to upgrade their software and drivers to Windows 10 and what about ASCOM? Is it already up to speed? I've had so much trouble getting everything to run on 8.1 it's hard to imagine 10 could be that seemless but maybe I'm just paranoid...

Yes, as you can see my desktop is a mess so maybe Windows 10 can help me get more organized too :)

Before I could even finish this post Dell is now telling me I need to upgrade their software too. This stuff always seems to create a domino effect so not sure I'm ready to take the plunge just yet...

Decisions... Decisions... They should have just stopped at XP and left it alone!!!

post-37916-0-01487500-1438897843_thumb.j

post-37916-0-02990100-1438898783_thumb.j

Well - in case you didn't know - once you click ok, they only let you delay the upgrade for two whole days! Just goes to show how sneaky they are and I'll bet now it will initiate the upgrade at that time and date without any additional input from me  :mad:

post-37916-0-61238900-1438901236_thumb.j

there 'should be' (was for all my 3) another option where selecting install now, gives you another choice to do install now, or download & create a bootable USB\DVD drive to install at your leasure....

I baled after reading the licence agreement, and it took quite while to get it's knickers unknotted. Seems to me one of their motivations is to plate over their backsides and avoid class action suits.

I will upgrade, but I will give it a few months to get the horror stories out of the way and the privacy issues to be better understood.

Can Vista users upgrade? I have a vista laptop that hasn't been used (only works on a power cord) for a while and destined to be my workshop machine when I make a clean enough space for it. I could try out W10 painlessly that way.

Extended support for Windows 7 continues until 2020: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle

What's the rush to upgrade?

No rush but as this is the last OS Microsoft will ever release one might as well get used to it.  Upgrades wrere seamless on my desktop and laptop though I do resent the intrusions which I am still trying to address.  I'm English but bought my PC with Win 7 pre-installed in France and though I instructed it to talk to me in English it insists on breaking into French all the time.  This seems to be worse in 10 as it affects browsing no matter what search engine I use.  Time heals all things, though.  Keep plugging away.

Archived