Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using your own scope at Herstmonceux

Hi everyone,

I've been told by a fellow astronomer that it's a great idea to head up to Herstmonceux (site of the Royal Observatory) and set up my own scope on a clear night.  I'm intending on doing this shortly (not during the upcoming festival).

Has anyone else done this?  Is it right that you can access the grounds (but not the buildings) at any time of night?

Cheers

Fish

Cannot see anything on their web site that implies sort of open access to the grounds at night, however no mention at all of anything like "access".

http://www.the-observatory.org/

If people are able to access the grounds then is there an astronomy club there?

It would seem to be a good option to hold a club there if people could wander along as they have access roads and parking and also probably decently dark.

It sounds a bit unlikely, however the grounds may have foot paths crossing them and they have by law to have those open to the public at all times. In which case the term "access the grounds" is a matter in interpretation.

I would suggest paying them a visit and looking and asking.

From the web site on the Visit Us page the first 2 paragraphs say:

Unfortunately, if you use our postcode your GPS will probably direct you to a CLOSED entrance of the Herstmonceux Castle Estate (600 acres). This will result in a 10 minute re-route.

The correct entrance is at the junction of Wartling Road and Halley Road (Private road within the estate). 

That reads that of 2 access roads one is closed and the other being private can be closed+locked. Meaning no access after hours, at least to vehicals. As mentioned you may be able to wander through the grounds via established and recognised public foot paths and rights of way within the 600 estate.

Something wrong with that picture, doesn't look like that, there is a barrier at the entrance of Wartling Rd stopping you driving into the site (if they lower it at night) and if it's locked down.

Have a look on street view and you'll see the barrier.

Nothing stopping you coming to the astro festival though, no charge if you don't want to camp overnight, your welcome to put your scope on my pitch.

Dave

So Herstmonceux have come back and said the grounds are shut at night.  I spoke to them on the phone and they recommended going up to The Downs or Beachy Head.  I might try Beachy Head - has anyone been up there for viewing?

Yes I have. Not the best, because of the glow from

Eastbourne. Bit scary on your own. Miles from anyware.

Took my scope up there. Would not do again.

Steve.

Archived