NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Now that's a PROPER telescope!

canuck

Interesting bit of history in the eBay listing - I like the bit about the engraving on the back of the mirror (astrological symbols?!). 10 inches was big aperture for those days. How things have changed!

Andrew

" It was originally installed at Eton College, and I can envisage its future home being in an equally grand and prestigious setting - perhaps in the grounds of an English country house, an Arabian desert palace, or a Californian mansion......"

..but not in my back garden according to SWMBO. I tried pointing out the "grand and prestigous setting" bit and what it would do to the re-sale value of our house but no, she wont hear of it.

However she did say (after some of my best pleading) that I can have another scope! :hello1: This was completely un-expected :shock:

I may have stumbled across a method of getting what I want "so cunning you could pin a tail to it and call it a fox".

All you have to do gents is find something you want and find the largest and preferably expensive bit of kit in the world and when she says no, offer to compromise a "little"

Use this nugget of info wisely my friends and under no account show the good lady wife this post otherwise, well frankly I'll die and you lot will never get what you want.

Its only taken me 46 years to learn how to manipulate women. Is this a record?

That's Chris Lord's scope & dome.

It a superb instrument and the dome is a very solid structure.

If I had the money I would take the scope of his hands

I've looked at Chris Lord's site before and looked at that scope admirably many times. Selling it must be a heartbreaking decision. If I had the necessary finances, I would also buy the scope, but would also need to add more space to that list of needs.

If my math is correct (please correct me if it's not), an 10.25" / F10 is over 2.5 metres long! :shock:

wow...

Wow!! Oh my gosh, what a beautiful piece of equipment. I love old instruments, so much. Yeah, if I had the money, space and an expert team of observatory dismantlers I would certainly give it a new home and love it beyond all measure... oh well, we can but dream...

Archived