Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby Russian Optic

Picked up this strange little Russian optic from evil-bay.  It is not a telescope as the objective is just 30mm, more of a monocular or spotter.  It's quite bizzare though with a telescope barrel that extends for use and retracts for the pocket. I thought I might share it with you. 

What is immediately apparent in use is that the optics are very good indeed, very clear, very sharp.  Reminds me of a tiny TAL. 30mm of objective won't do much but it will be fun to mess about with whilst on holiday.  It's a cute lil' thing!

Further investigation on the net has pointed to this model using a lens from LZOS, which would explain why the view is so sharp.

Anyone seen one of these before?  I'm not sure if these little scopes use a correcting lens at the eye end, or a small prism, to get an upright image.

I'm going to train it on some bright open clusters later.  I know it's only 30mm, but just a bit of fun.

post-10497-0-77292600-1437749222_thumb.j

post-10497-0-37326100-1437749237_thumb.j

Nice little scope :smiley:

I've seen them for sale on e.bay a fair bit but I've not taken the plunge yet. They were sold under the "Helios" branding for a while as well I think, called the "Helios Turist"

There is a 50mm version as well.

Russian optics are usually really good for their cost :smiley:

Edit: I see there is a zoom version on Astroboot:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/miscellaneous.html

No not seen one of those before but it looks like fun.  Would make a nice compact grab and go finder scope on a grab and go scope :)

I suppose it could be a mariner spotting scope  ? 

Yep, I would also require a grab and go cuppa, plus grab and go clear skies ho ho.

Yes, it does look like an old sailor scope doesn't it?  Oldy worldy....

Archived