Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Printing?

Helen

Hi guys,

I've just tried printing a few images for my observatory wall ;) but even on 6x4 paper they are coming out pixelated :( I'm using Elements and a Canon photo printer. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

Helen

I've had this too. At highest resolution on a large file it takes 20 minutes to print but still shows pixels :insects1:

I put it down to the make of paper used. See if it makes a difference if you use best quality paper by the same manufacturer as your printer

Andrew

Helen, Andrew, it's down to the pixel count of your image, you need preferably 300 per inch for high quality, 150 will give reasonable images, most screens display in the region of 70 / 75 per inch.

Look at the properties of your image size and divide the longest side by 300, that will give you the size of your quality print.

All 6 megapixel cameras will print to A4 no problem, modified webcams will only give a thumbnail size print without pixelating the print.

Archie

Thanks guys. This is with the Atik 16ic. Just off to do come calculations... it might have to be a montage of small pictures instead of some large individual ones. Ah well, ups the case for a megapixel camera ;)

Helen

That was one of the reasons for me buying a DSLR, that and the fact that I could not afford a megapixel astro CCD.

To give you an idea, I got the printing department at work to print out my moon image and the pixel size is 3456X2304 ;)

;) indeed!

I really like my little atik, and its fine for on screen, but I hadn't realised until now the printing limitataions. I'd like a record of what I'm doing. I've got a Canon 300d - I think I might take the plunge and get it modded. (But not this month, I bought a new car yesterday :( )

Helen

Archived