Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obs conversion - Update 2

centroid

I've now constructed the roof aperture framework and fitted this in position. The roof panels are now cut to their octagonal shape, and framework for the dropdown door at the front is complete.

This completes all of the framework for the rotating turret.

The next job will be to make the 'roll-off' door for the roof aperture, and clad the sides of 'turret'.

Dave

post-13389-133877340787_thumb.jpg

Coming along great Dave.

The thing that's put me off building a dome more than anything is that, as you know, with a ROR you can just leave the scope to get on with things. A dome has to rotate with the scope to some extent.

What are you planning for this ?

Cheers

Rob

If it wasn't for the problem of not being able to image when its windy Rob, I'd have stuck with the RoR.

With every system there has to be a compromise somewhere, and having to move the dome is a burden with this system.

No plans to motorise it, but I've made the aperture 2' wide, so it should provide a reasonable amount of time before I'll have to move it.

Dave

George,

The roof is 12mm Exterior Ply, and I'm not going to felt it, but will be using Thompsons High Performance Roof Seal.

This is a non bitumen based paint-on coating.

A mate of mine over in Clacton, built his obs using OSB (Sterling Board), and the entire structure was coated with this coating, thirteen years ago, and apparently its still watertight. Thompson 'guarantee' its durability for ten years.

Comes in two colours, Black and Grey. I'll be using the grey, as this will not absorb as much heat as would black.

The cost of the 'ring' was £100, of which £38 was the cost of the material. It would have been a bit cheaper if I'd gone for 3mm gauge steel, but was advised that 5mm would roll better into 1.8m dia ring.

I was originally quoted £60, but the guy had assumed that I was going to bring the material for him to 'roll'.

Dave

You don't hang about Dave. You seem to have put a lot of work into this already, it seems such a short time ago you were only contemplating this build. I seem to remember you have a schedule to keep though. ;) I hope it all goes well, and I look ahead to the finished product.

Ron. :(

Archived