Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking a Dob

Hello, just wondering, how hard is it to flock an 8" dob, how many rolls of flocking from FLO would I need, do I need to remove the vanes and mirror cell and will there be a noticeable difference in visual observing.

Thanks, Dom

FLO give you some guidance here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/black-velour-telescope-flocking-material.html

2-3 rolls (of the stuff they sell) for a full tube flock of an 8" dob.

With my 12" dob I flocked the area of tube behind the secondary mirror and a 12" strip around the inside of the tube just above the primary mirror. I didn't need to remove the secondary or it's vanes to do this but the primary and primary cell did need to come out.

Did I notice any differences ?. Hmmmm - not startling I have to say but I guess it made me that I'd done something positive rather than negative. I also blackend the edges of the secondary mirror but the mirror did need to be removed for that. Again no startling improvements but the view down the drawtube is "blacker" now surrounding the illuminated secondary face.

Its not difficult at all.Yes you need to remove the primary, secondary and it can be a lot simpler if you remove the focuser and finder shoe too. You would be best to get two rolls.Once you flock your tube you will find it quite addictive and will want to flock everything in sight. The main gain with flocking is that it  reduces light scatter and increases contrast.

Hmm, if there's not a huge difference and you have to remove everything, I may leave it for now then. Might wait till I get used to my scope before I begin wrecking it, thanks!

i did my dob, the full tube quite hard to do but i removed everything. i think there was a small gain on bright objects such as planets, looks nice and im sure it helps with condensation/dew

Dom1961........Try making a hood for the scope,  the foam underlay that campers use is ideal. Its very  cheap and works two-fold? Reduces unwanted stray light sources, and should you need it, Dew protection!

Archived