Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New house - should I build an obsy?

Snaxmuppet

I face the same challenges and that's one of the reasons I haven't gone ahead with an obsy build for 2 years.  The permitted development rules state: if it is more than 2 metres from a boundary, with a dual pitched roof it can be up to 4 metres high but it can only be a 1 storey construction.  

I now have some designs which allow for the scope to be parked at around 3.4 metres, this helps me see over large trees and buildings down 30 to 45 degrees except north where it is 52 degrees.  The floor will need to be set high but there will be only one storey, I doubt I'll ever be challenged as the trees and buildings will obscure most of the obsy and I wont be overlooking anyone (no windows).  It sounds like you could make something similar work.  

I plan to use the NEQ6 tripod mounted (and bolted down) on 3 braced hollow concrete block piers, that will minimise digging, spread the load and provide a stable platform separate from the suspended floor.  The warm-room will be the study in the house or it could be a nearby shed or garage. 

Tony

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did consider using a hydraulic ram off a JCB for a adjustable pier. There are height adjustable piers, available but they are not cheap.

I had different size pier extensions made instead, shown in my pictures.  Link below for pictures of my obsy build.

I had problems with vibration/ringing on my metal pier, cured by filling it with kiln dried sand.

I have re-stained my obsy a darker colour so it blends in better and doesn't attract the wrong type of attention.  Protected with plenty of spiky plants & hedges.

Best of luck, quick setup is probably the best stargazing accessory, solid pier a real luxury, just think of it as grab & go binocular speed for setting up.

Clear skies,

Fondofchips.

I don't think it's been said, but having somewhere sheltered would sure make the long nights out in winter more bearable!

There are of course some very nice (and expensive) obsy's on here but a decent pier with 4 fence posts and panels would be better than a tripod out in the open.  Some shelter from wind is better than none.

There are of course some very nice (and expensive) obsy's on here but a decent pier with 4 fence posts and panels would be better than a tripod out in the open.  Some shelter from wind is better than none.

That's a good point and could perhaps be done as part of a build over time as finances allow.  Start with a pier and fixed mount, say, using a disc of wood and an upturned plastic dustbin to keep out the elements.  Then perhaps look at laying a few slabs some time later, followed again by some fenceposts and panels for walls.  Use fence posts strong enough to support a roof and that could be added last of all.  Could take a few years if required, but most of the time it should be usable.

James

Archived