Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lovely Saturday Morning Sun

Pig

We are being spoiled again this week, this is the 3rd time I have been able to observe the sun :laugh:

There is not a great deal of large prom activity this morning although there are a few small bright proms spread about the limb.

The surface detail is looking excellent, especially the patterns around about AR2381, 84 & 85, there are in fact quite a few sunspots.

The sunspots effect on the peppered granulation reminds me of the geomagnetic patterns that are formed when Iron filings are poured  on top of white paper with a magnet placed underneath, and how the filings follow the magnet when you move it giving that one sided stretched appearance  :laugh:  I can see about 8 spots / groups altogether so as you can imagine the combined effect of this with the lovely burnt orange colour of the sun and the black granulation is quite visually relaxing and rewarding.

I was a little mesmerised by the effect and it turned out I was sat there longer than I had planned. I forgot I was sat observing in only my underpants... poor neighbours, I wondered why I was a little chilly :grin:

The Quark does bring this detail out very well indeed, I have this feeling that this is going to be a lovely weekend.

I've just set-up the Baader Wedge/ED100 and my Lunt 50Ha and it is indeed a lovely view (the Sun that is, not Shaun in his underpants :lol: )

The large sunspot towards the top left of the disk (2381 - I think?) has some lovely detail around it.

A good time for a coffee and some peace and quiet with the scopes before the gang get up :wink:

Thank you Derek, I am sure the view of the sun is a much healthier sight than me in my Baby Crockett underpants :grin:

Thank you Michael :laugh: I hope the naughty clouds get evaporated.

For those who don't remember Baby Crockett

post-27910-0-58353800-1436597558.jpg

I am sure she is a little angel and does everything she is asked Stu :laugh: Enjoy

Of course she does Shaun, although there I times when I wonder if she is (or should be) on an MI5 watch list..... ;)

LoL I am starting to think she is looking after the big person... are you absolutely sure it is you that is in charge :laugh:

I only claimed to be on duty, with two females in the house I make no claims of ever being in charge!! ;)

Ah yes the Sun..... He is looking grand :laugh: ...the prominences in the 3 O'clock position are starting to develop as the sun climbs, I am not sure if these are a new set or if they have been there some time.

I have put my shorts and shirt on, but I am still unkempt

I will update the thread if anything major develops.

Where is that thread with scope selfies?  :grin: 

Nice report, Shaun. Interesting sun this morning. No mega huge proms and no flaring that I noticed but plenty of detail in the acrive regions. The new active region, though not as big, had so much activity around it.

The sun also reminds me of iron filings and magnets at times :laugh:

Archived