NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2nd go at Saturn, 1st at image stacking

sammak127

I thought I would try taking some video on my DSLR instead of just my usual single exposures.

So this is it, and compared to my first go at Saturn, which was a single frame it is a great step forward.

It was about 100 frames stacked in Registax. from a canon 500d on the back of a skywatcher 127 mak.

Any tips most welcome.

post-44153-0-07682800-1435956459.png

Thanks for the tips. I have tried one from the same footage, but using 500 frames as suggested. It is a slight improvement you're right.

post-44153-0-71262600-1435996221.png

Focussing is the hard part in the non computer assisted low budget DSLR astrophotgraphy set up. Maybe a Bahtinov mask would help?! on the other hand maybe I'm just at the limit of my little set up.

I was using a Barlow, but it is not an expensive one, and I can't help feeling it hinders about as much as it helps.

also I wouldn't be surprised if I am not using registax to its fullest.. but hopefullly I can make some improvements there. I'll have a look for some simple tutorials to show the basics of that useful program.

Nice progress there. You should try wavelets (and indeed work hard on getting focus). I remember my first real play with wavelet sharpening on Saturn, and I nearly fell off my chair I was so surprised at the improvements. It does require a good big stack of many frames to use to its fullest

Archived