Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I know this is going to sound like a very stupid question, but how does one change the altitude of the telescope?

Hello everyone. Please bear with me on this stupid question. I've got an equatorial mount. What I've been doing is just moving the latitude adjustment screw until it is at the right point. But now, I guess I read that the latitude should be constant (for me about 43 degrees). I'm just very confused and am sorry if this question makes no sense at all. Thanks for your time

Hello everyone. Please bear with me on this stupid question. I've got an equatorial mount. What I've been doing is just moving the latitude adjustment screw until it is at the right point. But now, I guess I read that the latitude should be constant (for me about 43 degrees). I'm just very confused and am sorry if this question makes no sense at all. Thanks for your time

Not a stupid question, we all have something to learn.

Assuming your EQ mount is the popular German Equatorial Mount, there will be a scale that runs from zero to 90 degrees.  Set this for the latitude of your location. You only have to do this once, unless you relocate a significant amount north or south.

Your optical tube can point to ANY altitude ( up or down ) to acquire your chosen object to observe, whilst the latitude adjustment stays the same.

If you have pointed the polar axis north, then once you have found your chosen object, then the optical tube can be moved in right ascension (left to right) using the manual slow motion control ( or motor if one is fitted ) to follow your object as the Earth turns.

For basic observing, a near enough polar alignment is fine, accurate polar alignment is only needed for imaging.

Make sure you have aligned the finder ( optical or red dot ).

Hope I've understood your question, and answered it ok.

Regards, Ed.

A lot of folks get confused with latitude and altitude - including me when I first started. All you have to remember is that altitude is height above Earth, whereas latitude is position on the Earth above or below the equator.

The equator is zero degrees and if your position on Earth is 43 degs above it - then that's what your altitude on the scope should be set to. As Ed says - it just needs setting once on an equatorial mount so long as you're observing site doesn't change and the scope isn't moved. With an alt/az mount you have to track an object by adjusting both altitude (height) and azimuth (compass bearing) constantly.

Whereas with an equatorial mount you set both of these (alt and az) once only - usually whilst polar aligning. Then to track an object you only need to adjust the right ascension axis. This is because the Earth turning holds the declination steady automatically (once latitude/altitude is set for your location). It needs to be precise for imaging - but only approximate for observing - but imaging's a whole other story. :)

Steve Ward's video is good visual, and informative demonstration of setting up the equatorial 

for adequate observational use. Should be a big help to other newbies struggling to understand

the setting up of their mounts too.

Ron.

Archived