NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My eyepiece plan

Dom1961

for example if you had the two eps side by side, a 8mm BST and a 8mm Explore Scientific (I know there isn't one) but if you did, would a ES bring any more detail out than a BST?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want something that I can use on a lot of objects, eek out the details on the things that I can see, something that will be use able on a lot of nights and something that will be overall useful to my ep collection

..........lots of objects? A13mm spanner in a tool kit is an essential tool but has only one option, to fit a 13mm nut? EPs are akin to the tool set, some work better than others given their specific task. An 8mm is pointless to me for star hopping, and my 32mm does not get me into the Moons craters!

Its a huge issue and no-doubt sleepless nights. You will eventually have the EP of your choice that suits your eyes. As John points out NO ONE here can give you your 100% solution that will be perfect for your needs. Its possibly one of the most subjective and argumentative subjects in astronomy.

Personnal choice wins! I was kindly loaned an 8mm Televue Plossl, knowing the eye relief limitation for my eyes. I just did not like it. Yet 1mm larger, my Revelation Plossl @ £10 is brilliant? Without trial, I could never had known. I still prefer my BST's, the Plossls are just to test my curiosity?

for example if you had the two eps side by side, a 8mm BST and a 8mm Explore Scientific (I know there isn't one) but if you did, would a ES bring any more detail out than a BST?

.........you should notice the fov difference if you change EPs quickly, and possibly the brightness or colour could be different due to the ammount of glass in each EP and their coating effects. The price too would be different. Other than that, without having the said 8mm ES, hard to prove, but image quality alone, you may not see any difference at all?

shall i just finish the collection. I've got the 8 and 15, I can get try to get the rest. Then after that get a maxvision or something? or get a maxvision first, then collect BSTs?

Hello dom,

you have had loads of first rate advice here and you seem to have a plan.

i prefer the comfort of the twist up eye cup on my bst s. To me some of my fold down eye cups i find difficult / not as enjoyable to use. Thats my main feature i look for and why ive hesitated in getting some 82s.

if it works for you and its not broken....

al

I want something that I can use on a lot of objects, eek out the details on the things that I can see, something that will be use able on a lot of nights and something that will be overall useful to my ep collection

Sorry to introduce yet another variable but you could do a lot worse than spend your £125 on a good second hand Baader Hyperion Mark III 8-24mm Zoom. A few quid more and you can also have the matching Barlow that takes the maximum power up to the most your scope could cope with on the Moon on a good night. That would be all bases covered for a while until you decide which route you want to go down.

al, how often do you use your medium power bsts? do you jump from wide to high mag or do you use your 12, 15 and 18 often? I always seem to skip my 15, I dont know what objects to use it for

If I was in your position, on a limited budget and with the equipment in your kit list, I think I'd add the 25mm BST to replace the 25mm stock MA and I'd add a 5mm BST to get 240x for the Moon, Saturn and Mars when the seeing conditions permit.

I'd then call a halt to eyepiece investment for a while and then observe, observe, observe as much as possible to develop my skills in using the scope, finding my way around the night sky and seeing how far I can push myself and my equipment.

Over time any remaining deficiences with your gear will reveal themselves as your experience and skills increase and this will shape any further buying / upgrading decisions you make.

Dom,

There is no direct association with EPs and objects without taking other factors into consideration - which scope, seeing conditions, mount stability, light pollution, etc.

A general rule of thumb is that you should use the lowest power EP that gives you a clear and crisp view of the object you are pointing at. For any given object that EP might be different on different nights or through different scopes.

At various times I will have used all of my EPs to look at all sorts of objects. The trick is in finding the right combination for the prevailing circumstances which is why a range of magnification is important.

hmm, might do as john says and get a 25mm and 5mm, then I'll have 5,8,15,25 and I'll buy a case from nigel at northern optics. Then in the future i'll add what I feel necessary. Are Maxvisions going to become really rare? websites say "when there gone there gone" when they run out willl prices rocket?

Are Maxvisions going to become really rare? websites say "when there gone there gone" when they run out willl prices rocket?

No. These are running out because they came from a failed order that ended up in the hands of ES to dispose of. There are no more, so they are running out.

I have yet to see a modern eyepiece that sells for more than its new price.

Rule 1: Amateur astronomy is not an investment opportunity.

Might even get a Cheshire collimator, I've practically given up on my laser

A Barlowed laser is a very quick and easy method to check collimation. Yes get yourself a Cheshire tool, but save the laser!

If i smash a BST this Month, I'd buy another. If stock has gone, I would get second hand. If this was not possible, I could replace with an Astrotech Paradigm, its the same EP under a different name. A Meade would suffice your needs if Maxvision dissapeared from your grasp. It would be the same EP. My initial collection was planned for the [JAPAN] Meade Plossl's, but were out of my reach when I came to source them. I have no regrets with the EP's in my collection, they work fine on an f/6 system, and more importantly, my eyes.

Top advice in John's last post, and only a 100 quid.

If you are going to upgrade to 82 degree eyepieces and buy decent ones, even S/H you will need about 350-400 quid to burn to cover a range of powers. Take your time look for S/H ones as and when, you may find that you are happy with what you have but only using them will tell you that. 

Alan

The reason I've given up with the laser is that I've collimator the laser, but when I adjust the scope according to the laser it is miles out when I check with a collimation cap

Top advice in John's last post, and only a 100 quid.

If you are going to upgrade to 82 degree eyepieces and buy decent ones, even S/H you will need about 350-400 quid to burn to cover a range of powers. Take your time look for S/H ones as and when, you may find that you are happy with what you have but only using them will tell you that. 

Alan

My plan is to get 5mm and 25mm which is under £100 as I normally buy his customer returns. Then a case £20, and a Cheshire £25 so just under £125

Dom, theres loads of good advice already on this thread from experienced guys.

i think its good youve finalised your plan (for now). Youve already said you like your bst ep s and adding 5 and 25 to your herd will be a good choice in my opinion, you may not need more, only time will tell and if need be save up for those premium top end eps.

As your a returning customer for your eps, im sure you will get a favourable deal.

Johns, alans , dereks, charics advice is fantastic and we can all listen to something from them. I may be mistaken but i would imagine most amateur astronemers didnt start out with top of the range equipment, there probably are a few who were/are fortunate to do so....

al

Just ordered 5mm and 25mm bsts. Now just need to wait till the next astronomy society meeting next Monday to get a case and maybe a short Cheshire so it doesn't take up too much room in my case. Then I might get a lumicon or Skys the Limit ( waiting for your review al;) ) OIII for my birthday.

Just ordered 5mm and 25mm bsts. Now just need to wait till the next astronomy society meeting next Monday to get a case and maybe a short Cheshire so it doesn't take up too much room in my case. Then I might get a lumicon or Skys the Limit ( waiting for your review al;) ) OIII for my birthday.

The cheshire that I use the most looks just like the short one that Skys the Limit Sell for around £21 I think.

yes dom, im also waiting! surely it wont be to long now. If its anything like my uhc i will be really pleased. Anyways it looks the part!

I see you stuck to what you know on ep s. its difficult with so much choice!

Al

Archived