SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this a noctilucent cloud?

Hi there,

Just a simple question really, is the attached pic showing a noctilucent cloud or normal cloud cover? It was quite bright relative to the sky (which appears brighter than normal because of the exposure). There were no other obvious low level clouds around to compare it to.

I suspect it was an aircraft contrail being disturbed by fast winds. If that is the case, is there a good way of spotting the difference?

Thanks!  :smiley:

post-45364-0-88914900-1435143031_thumb.j

Definitely not an NLC I'm afraid, they are only visible very low on the northern horizon, if you were directly underneath one it would be invisible. As you suspect it could well be a disrupted contrail or normal cirrus cloud.

There are a couple of guides to spotting them linked to in this thread if you are interested.

Definitely not an NLC I'm afraid, they are only visible very low on the northern horizon, if you were directly underneath one it would be invisible. As you suspect it could well be a disrupted contrail or normal cirrus cloud.

There are a couple of guides to spotting them linked to in this thread if you are interested.

Oh well...best I don't tell my fiancée, I woke her up especially to see it, at 00:30!  :icon_redface:

I will scan the thread to wise up on NLCs

Thanks.

Don't worry, I got extremely excited about a noctilucent cloud sighting only to be informed it was local motorway lights reflecting on low cloud  :grin: When you see them as I did last July on the 7th you will not ever forget them or fail to recognise them again. they truly are one of the real visual WOW moments in astronomy.

The good thing about noctilucents is that when you actually do see them you will be in no doubt that it was them!

The biggest giveaway is their bright bluish-white colour.

A very low and clear north horizon is important.

• 4 weeks later...

HI everyone,

I was packing my scope away this morning (at about 3:15am) and I finally saw a noctilucent cloud, far off in the northern sky. They showed a lot of structure, see the pics.

As before, I woke my fiancee to show her the clouds! Hopefully it was worth it this time.

Did anyone else see them???

Thanks!!!  :laugh:

post-45364-0-94905100-1437243189_thumb.j

post-45364-0-93013000-1437243208_thumb.j

post-45364-0-41653400-1437243230_thumb.j

post-45364-0-45117000-1437243248_thumb.j

post-45364-0-17040100-1437243266_thumb.j

Yep well done, the terrestrial clouds in the foreground make a nice contrast.

I've been looking out for NLC every clear night since June but I missed this display despite being wide awake at 2am, I looked out, decided it was too hazy to get the scope out and went back to bed. I'll have to start setting my alarm for 3am.

Well captured!

I was out working a night shift early Saturday and saw that display too.

I'd noticed that the Northerly horizon had a much brighter sky glow than expected for a month past the solstice. So I made my way to a higher vantage point (industrial process plant) with views across Morecambe Bay in the distance.

Lovely display of NLC's, first decent one this ear for me. I tried to get a shot on my phone camera but it wasn't much use.

Thanks Pete!

I had spent most of the night wondering why my guiding was off until I checked my PA and found that I had set it for 9am instead of 11pm! I only got about 10 3min subs of the Iris nebula before the sky brightened  :angry2:

The noctilucent clouds were a nice reward though.

Thanks Pete!

I had spent most of the night wondering why my guiding was off until I checked my PA and found that I had set it for 9am instead of 11pm! I only got about 10 3min subs of the Iris nebula before the sky brightened  :angry2:

The noctilucent clouds were a nice reward though.

I haven't done any guided imaging since the spring and have not really missed it much, too many nights like the one you have just described.

Archived