Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explorer 150P/P-DS

The p ds is set up for imaging with a dslr, so the primary mirror sits a little further up the OTA to get better focus with camera, but it will come to focus with an eyepiece, the dual speed focuser is very nice but not essential for visual, the 150p is a very nice scope 

thanks Jules, I'm not at all well up on AP, so I don't appreciate how the primary can be moved forward and the 'scope still be an f5. I'd played with the idea (I play a lot) of a 150p, 2nd hand, and maybe adding a better focuser if deemed necessary later.

I have had a 150PDS and currently own a 150P (now with DS focuser). Going out on a limb I would say there is absolutely no difference between a 150PDS and a standard 150P other than the obvious. Yes the marketing description says the OTA is shorter for focus and at one time that the secondary is larger but I have know Sky-watcher descriptions to be inaccurate in the past. EG: at one time the Evostar description stated that the cell was collimateable. Yes this is true of the older blue/ dark blue/ black tube but not of the latest black diamond tubes so this clearly had not been updated. There was also the aftermarket DS refractor focuser stated to fit 80 - 150mm refractors which again it does but in the case of the 80mm it never stated that a smaller flange is required. I think these discrepancies have all been addressed with the new site but none the less in the case of the 150PDS I would be happy for someone to prove me wrong.

In answer to your question I will say no there is no difference optically as they are both f/5 6" mirrors coated at the same factory using the same process.

Archived