Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone had an HEQ5 Belt Drive modification?

Fordos Moon

My HEQ5Pro is playing up a lot on the RA and I am thinking of sending it to this chap who comes recommended to be stripped down and rebuilt:

http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk/

He also offers a beltdrive mod and I wondered if someone could tell me what advantage this would be, as it is another £130 while he is at it (the strip down is £100)

Thanks in anticipation, Bob

Not had it done but know that Graham is a great engineer and a thoroughly nice chap too ...   :smiley:

He's also considering starting a home visit service with a van in case couriering the heavy mount with little or no insurance is an issue.

For visual you wouldnt benefit a great deal but for autoguiding backlash is reduced and its more responsive. Either way its alot quieter, no ticking or crackling as the idler gears are removed

Worth it for sure, but be sure the belt drive is the correct ratio, i.e. same as Rowan Astro Engineering, because if it's not, slewing and tracking will not be accurate.

The belt mod yourself is not hard to do, if you're good at simple mechanical work.

Worth it for sure, but be sure the belt drive is the correct ratio, i.e. same as Rowan Astro Engineering, because if it's not, slewing and tracking will not be accurate.

The belt mod yourself is not hard to do, if you're good at simple mechanical work.

Thanks Jonk, Im hoping the guy I will send it to will know how to do that?

Well worth it Bob,Graham at Astrotec rebuilt my damaged heq5pro,and made a great job of it,good communication and a fast turnaround,his belt mod it very good quality.

HTH

Mike

Thanks Mike do you by any chance have his email address, the link on the website doesnt seem to work? - ignore that ive found it!

Graham uses the Rowan Astronomy belt kits as part of his services.

Archived