NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunday 7th June Sun

Pig

I am not sure quite what is happening in Northampton but we have had 2 days of morning sun on the bounce :smiley: not bad at all. I best get the sun cream out along with the sun strawberries :grin:

Lovely clear blue skies again and another lovely burnt orange colour to the sun, there are some lovely small proms dotted around the 3 - 6 O'clock positions and a few others opposite all showing very nice detail at slightly higher mag with the Quark and the LZ 

The surface detail is also looking wonderful in both Ha and white light, some lovely detail is available with both setups. Pretty much the same as yesterday only the spots are in in different observable location. 

One point of note with the Quark is that is does allow you to zoom in on some local areas which really helps to bring out some great detail. The area around AR 2365 looks particularly nice.

Very nice report, Shaun. I am so happy that the weekend forecast was roughly right here, two solar days promised and delivered :)

Reasonable seeing here this morning. Relatlively quiet on the prom front but they showed some nice detail, and there was a nice spike that appeared, near AR2365, I think.

I didn't mind there being no giant proms, fun as they are, as the disc had some lovely detail. I loved a mass of activiity next to AR2360, it reminded me a bit of the Grand Canyon. There was a nice arc-shaped flare in AR2365, and some of the other AR's seemed to be flaring lightly at times.

Over in white light, there was a bit of a mirror image going on with AR's 2356 and 2365. Both near the limb on opposite sides, both a similar size, and with similar lovely fine faculae. 2365 had a sprinkling of bonus fine spots.

Luke, thank you.

It is about time we had some prolonged sunshine. I also caught a glimpse of the spike you mentioned but it did not last very long and settled down again rather quickly, it did reach quite a reasonable length in its short existence though :smiley:

I have switched my solar diet from red wine marinated melon to slim-line tonic water and cherries :shocked: quite refreshing as it goes and very enjoyable  :laugh:.

I have been experimenting with the Quark heat adjustment and although I can see a stepped change from one extreme to the other I haven't noticed any change between each click. I would be interested to know if this the same experience as others.

Nice report Shaun. I got up rather late this morning and missed the good seeing :sad: I am hoping it will settle later so I can image. The white light detail with the Baader film and #56 green filter combined with the ES 11mm eyepiece are none the less spectacular in the moments of good seeing. A myriad of tiny spots which I am now trying to sketch.

Enjoy the sunshine

Nice one David and thank you. The spots do look excellent I am getting some great detail with the 4mm but the 2.5 is still pushing it a bit to much and making focusing difficult. You must share the sketches with us :laugh:

Prominence activity has picked up in the past 45 minutes and there is a nice little willow the wisp in the 4 O'clock position, I haven't seen one of these in an age now. Very pleased indeed

I did a little white light observing this morning, TAL100rs and 20mm plossl on the EQ5, motor drive makes a lovely difference!

This was meant to be an imaging session but just could not get it to work well, tried A-focal with converted webcam.....fail......tried SPC900, failed, so used digital camera for A-focal but struggled to get focus right so binned all frames

Nice to see plenty of sun spot activity, last time i looked things were a little quiet

Just had a quick peak, it does look rather spotty doesn't it?

Seeing not brilliant so no granulation visible but will have a look later when things cool off a bit

The heat of the midday has settled and we have a lovely cooler sunny evening here. I have drunk quite a considerable amount of water today, this solar observing is quite thirsty work :cool:

The sun is still looking good, I believe the wispy prominence has developed into quite a fine but largish arc, definitely worth a look.

The surface detail is excellent still, if not a little more defined than it was mid-afternoon :laugh:

Well I am off back outside to finish the evening off in style :smiley:

Just had a look before packing away and heading home. Just white light today, but it's amazing how the granulation is now nicely visible as the atmosphere cools and settles. No more for me today, enjoy Shaun!

Thank you Rob :smiley:

The sun sure has been playing ball for the past couple of days :laugh: it is great how a couple of good days makes you forget about al the waiting :shocked:

Archived