NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

noob questions

I've had my telescope for 2 weeks now and I've been seeing some amazing things with it. But I do have a couple questions...

1) The telescope and most other parts are black. The night is black (or it should be without the Moon). This makes it hard to see, so I was wondering if it's worthwhile painting my OTA white so I can see it easier without a red light? Same goes for the tripod legs.

2) My note taking on my finds is atrocious. I've found several DSO's and have drawn rough sketches, but then when I go to look them up after my session, I can't find what they are! I'm just using a pocket spiral bound notebook. What does everyone else use? I was thinking a grid notebook would be very handy for my sketches. What other details do you note down?

3) I often have to loosen the rings and turn the OTA so I can look through the EP, but the OTA often slips a little up or down affecting the balance, as well as moving one of the axis due to note tight enough locks. Is there an easier way?

Wayne

Make yourself some Wilcox rings to solve your OTA rotating problem.  These will allow you to rotate the OTA with losing your balance.  I made these for my scope.  Here is the link to an article I found by Erik Wilcox himself.  

Until you make the rings, while the mount is in the home position, loosen the tube ring and rotate the scope so that the eyepiece is straight up and then tighten.  Now, when you slew, the eyepiece should be in a more comfortable position.

https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/pdfs/files/Pages56-57.pdf

In answer to question 2. you're supposed to know what the object is before you observe it (or image/draw it). If you get Stellarium it will show you where all the objects are in the sky at your location and you can then find them with your scope - it's free to download.

Also a good book to use for finding your first 100 objects is "Turn Left at Orion". It gives instructions for finding stuff and shows you what each object looks like (drawn) so you'll know when you have it in the eyepiece. Hth :)

Make yourself some Wilcox rings to solve your OTA rotating problem. These will allow you to rotate the OTA with losing your balance. I made these for my scope. Here is the link to an article I found by Erik Wilcox himself.

Until you make the rings, while the mount is in the home position, loosen the tube ring and rotate the scope so that the eyepiece is straight up and then tighten. Now, when you slew, the eyepiece should be in a more comfortable position.

https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/pdfs/files/Pages56-57.pdf

That looks like a great idea. Will head to the hardware store this weekend!

In answer to question 2. you're supposed to know what the object is before you observe it (or image/draw it). If you get Stellarium it will show you where all the objects are in the sky at your location and you can then find them with your scope - it's free to download.

Also a good book to use for finding your first 100 objects is "Turn Left at Orion". It gives instructions for finding stuff and shows you what each object looks like (drawn) so you'll know when you have it in the eyepiece. Hth :)

Yeah, "supposed to know" ;) So far i just take it out and sweep an area of the sky that Stellarium says should have a few objects. I should start planning my sessions. I do have Turn Left At Orion, but it's a little lacking for the southern hemisphere.

I advise against white paint or any other high reflective colour, any near light source is going to bounce into your eye, affecting night vision.

My scope is white and it distracts a little when observing, I guess an eyepatch would help with this bit that's one item in a long line of stuff I need to get.

As the others suggest, see if you can find some night glow tape and wrap a bit around the tripod legs and elsewhere if necessary. You're very fortunate to have such dark skies. You might also find a decent star map useful. I find Star Atlas by Sky and Telescope indispensable. Obviously a map will help locate where you are, suggest possible sights to be seen and the name of the object. Needless to say, the map will become an integral of your sessions as you plan your star hop route to the many wonders of the night sky.

It's great to hear you're sketching and I look forward to seeing some of your results :grin:

Haha, my sketches would need to improve immensely before I'd be willing to show anyone! So far I've only used pen and my sketch of Omega Centauri consisted of a swirly scribble with some dots around it.

As the others suggest, see if you can find some night glow tape and wrap a bit around the tripod legs and elsewhere if necessary. You're very fortunate to have such dark skies. You might also find a decent star map useful. I find Star Atlas by Sky and Telescope indispensable. Obviously a map will help locate where you are, suggest possible sights to be seen and the name of the object. Needless to say, the map will become an integral of your sessions as you plan your star hop route to the many wonders of the night sky.

It's great to hear you're sketching and I look forward to seeing some of your results :grin:

If you go down this route a dim red torch is pretty handy too  :p

Haha, my sketches would need to improve immensely before I'd be willing to show anyone! So far I've only used pen and my sketch of Omega Centauri consisted of a swirly scribble with some dots around it.

i would love to see that, not the sketch though :grin:

Archived