Power tank question

The web ad you linked to doesn't give much away about current capacity - its says UP TO 3 amps so I guess that's short burst - its continuous rating is probably 1 amp. 1.5 at best. Therefore its a weedy little cable.

I don't know what mount you will be powering or how much it will draw so I cant say it would or wouldn't be suitable but....

Weedy wires = easily broken and voltage drop - two things you really don't want in an imaging rig.

I would look for something rated at circa 10amps.  

Or make one !!!  The mount plugs are £1, the cable is £1.90 for 2m of super flexible (even in cold temperatures) 9amp continuous wire and the fag lighter plug for a good quality marine grade is £4 - 10 mins with a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing = a professional looking, water resistant, durable, reliable lead - - fit for the purpose for £7 !!!

were do you get the cable from bill. i take it your on about silocone based or similar. cant find any anywere. cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going the same route (toolbox with battery inside) but I started to rethink my setup when I saw this

Pro's are that you can attach the powerbox to the mount (lightweight) so all the power cables on the mount go to the powerbox and you then run only one cable to the battery of your choosing. This way you can travel only with the box and use a friend's battery, a car battery... or bring your own. Of course you have to be careful with the wiring and fusing (note that cig lighter are fused, so this is less of a worry I guess) You may also need different lead cable to the battery but it's more versatile and easier to carry.

this bring a question: what happens if I use 25A wire and plug to a 7A battery ?

I was thinking of some loss of power... makes me wonder why there are so many different gauge wire instead of going 10A-25A-50A-100A... Is this only cost related ? should I wire my box with only the highest gauge I will ever use ?

.... I know nothing !

For those of us who want to go the power panel way and are not well equiped, this website lets you custome create anodized aluminum panels with all sorts of connectors (XLR included) and switches.

https://www.datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer

Less expensive than buying a kendrick and you can design for your needs. You can also laser engrave labels. Here is an exemple of one I just did using the designer on their website

Panel

Of course, at 102£ for this exemple, it's more expensive than doing it yourselfs and you still have to do the wiring ;)

Archived