Barlow Lens Query

I recently bought a Skywatcher ED Deluxe x2 barlow lens, which as well as being intended for 2" eyepieces, also includes a 1.25" adaptor. My query is this: in contrast to the situation as it applies to 2" eyepieces, this barlow lens doesn't appear to have a wingnut to affix my 1.25" eyepieces to the 1.25" adaptor. In other words, the only thing keeping these eyepieces in situ is friction, which in the case of my two 1.25" ES eyepieces makes for a slightly loose fit. There is also the constant worry of either of these eyepieces sliding out of the adaptor and becoming a victim to the force of gravity (and subsequent injury to my wallet). Is this arrangement for what is, after all, a quality barlow lens supposed to be normal, or am I missing out on something?  

Regards

I have a 2 inch ed Barlow and it should come with 2 screws one in the 2inch to hold the 2 inch ep or the adaptor and one in the adaptor to hold the 1 1/4 ep.There should be a notch in the 2 inch part for the screw to fit.post-27162-0-01822300-1433256697_thumb.jhave you checked its not in the box somewhere though these are readily available.

Hi Ron, no, that's not how it works, it should have a thumb screw to depress the compression ring as seen in Jonn's picture and his smoking jacket. There is a slit as he mentions to allow the 1.25" thumb screw to sit in the 2" part of the Barlow snugly.

I had the same one a while back but have now sold it, only mention how mine was constructed, perhaps they make them differently now, who knows.  In the photo Ron you can see the 'U' shaped slot that houses the 1.25" thumb screw.

Then the screws must be missing, seems strange they are not in the picture, thought the

only way it would work was to turn the barrel to tighten it, I might contact FLO just for

curiosity. 

Just to support the other comments, there is definitely a screw missing, these are not a twist lock type fitting. The screw must be hidden on the rear side of the 1.25" adaptor in the picture

Just to support the other comments, there is definitely a screw missing, these are not a twist lock type fitting. The screw must be hidden on the rear side of the 1.25" adaptor in the picture

Thank's for clearing that one up, I wonder if Graham has found the screw?

When unpacking new astro gear its amazing just how easy it is for screws to go walkabouts without you noticing. I once spent an hour looking all over the floor for a small screw before i remembered that i for some reason had put it in my pocket. It was either that or it was going into the dogs belly. 

Archived