Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloud and Rain Sensor

Gina

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gina,

I am using this rain sensor  in my project which I started last year and haven't got round to finishing yet. There is a suggested schematic in the product description that may or may not be of use to you. I got this working on a breadboard but haven't got round to designing a PCB for it (and now can't really remember how I did it!). I recall I wired it up pretty much as per the diagram but without the schmidt trigger and relay. I read the value of CAP with an analogue input. It worked very well and could detect the faintest amount of water reliably and scaled well as the "wetness" increased. I am a definite "monkey see - monkey do" bodger when it comes to electronics  so not sure about the theory of why it all played nicely - but I didn't release any magic smoke on this occasion....

I wanted to use the smaller sensor that is on the AAG / Aurora - but couldn't find a supplier anywhere. This is how the enclosure looks with that sensor + IR and lux: 

post-31345-0-41274100-1432980995.jpg

I'll get back to designing the PCB now my observatory is complete.

Cheers Dom

Gina, save yourself the effort and adopt my simple 100% reliable design that only requires 3 components; a 9V battery, an LED and a 470R resistor.

Assembly:

Connect the LED to a 9V battery via a 470R resistor...(cathode to negative, anode to positive).

Instructions:

If the LED is on, it is cloudy or raining.

If the LED is off, a new battery is required.

Ha ha ha...  Save effort - I don't think so - though I guess it's less effort than some of the useless projects I take on :D  I think yours wins in the useless stakes though :)  Good effort - well done :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Update :-

No work on this project for some time but it's still on the list and due for resurrection when I get my observatory roof automation finished which in turn depends on the weather - like many other things :grin:  So many projects on hold due to the weather - it's depressing :(

Hi Gina,

Did you ever look at the sensor above in any detail. One bit they do not seem to mention is if it is heated to quickly reset the sensor. Also they say it will measure dirt particles on the sensor. So I would suspect we would need to keep it very clean for it to function properly and repeatedly. (meaning easily accessible).

Hope you enjoyed Christmas.

Derek

Archived