Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have a bad day here

Starlight 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My image was pretty much due south.

Providing you are pointing at the celestial equator, you can get the same effect - as in Laser_jock's example which by the look of it is pointing East.

Ant

My image was pretty much due south.

Providing you are pointing at the celestial equator, you can get the same effect - as in Laser_jock's example which by the look of it is pointing East.

Ant

My second image is more or less due east (the light dome from Newtown 25 miles away is the giveaway!). But as you say having the Celestial Equator anywhere in a widefield, star trail image should show the effect.

In my second image the Celestial equator is by coincidence almost on the diagonal of the 10mm fisheye- and this has given me a compositional idea for the next time I frame such a shot. If you were to get the diagonal of the frame exactly along the Celestial Equator the counter rotating effect with a fisheye would be quite pronounced.

EDIT- I might also add that very long star trail/landscape photos are best produced using many short subs stacked with STARTRAILS software

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

It is therefore possible to compose these kind of images from moderately light polluted sites.

I can't say I've thought too much about the apparent divergance of star trails either side of the celestial equator. But studying Laser_Jock's rather nice image above I've been troubled...

The star's paths must be parallel in reality. So the only thing i can come up with is the business of projecting a spherical surface onto a flat imaging plane.

It's all an illusion!

Thank goodness, I was getting worried that the cheese had finally fallen of my cracker :)

I can't say I've thought too much about the apparent divergance of star trails either side of the celestial equator. But studying Laser_Jock's rather nice image above I've been troubled...

The star's paths must be parallel in reality. So the only thing i can come up with is the business of projecting a spherical surface onto a flat imaging plane.

It's all an illusion!

Thank goodness, I was getting worried that the cheese had finally fallen of my cracker :)

Bingo! I think this stellarium screenshot shows it all. http://i.imgur.com/2dw7e2T.png

Archived