NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televue EPs...are they worth the (extra) money?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.4kg ???  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

it is almost twice the weight of my telescope!!  :eek:  :eek:

I've held one in my hand and it was nearly twice the size of my fist in every direction and I have a large fist.

Mind you, in the world of observatory class EPs (rather than the amateur stuff we faff around with) it barely registers.

Russell

It's hard to understand why people buy expensive ep's in slower scopes for observing eg F 10 but when in a fast scope eg F4 it's no contest for me...it has to be TV

Calv, there are other merits to premium eyepieces outside pure edge performance in fast scopes which make them worthwhile in my book. Better light transmission, reduced scatter and improved contrast are all worth having and as far as I am aware these thing apply in slower scopes too

A Delos is a 72 degree EP, an ES82 is (as expected) an 82 degree EP.

Heres a question: Would an ES 82 stopped down to 72 be as good?

In effect does the ES lose out on the edge only.

Answer: No. The Delos range, amongst other benefits have a constant 20mm of eye relief which makes them very comfortable to use, including for those who wear glasses

Having had a look at a fair few eyepieces talked about here and said by others, it's not all about the edge. In this case I am talking about I test of a 4.7mm ExSc against a 5mm Pentax, I also had my 4.5mm Delos at hand. Whilst looking at Bright stars and Jupiter and Mars (Venus was not around then ) the light scatter control of the these two was very good indeed, the Pentax being ever so slightly better in my view. In the case of the 4.7mm ExSc 82 degree, appling the same target on the same nights the ExSc did not perform as well, I could see a clear difference on axis. When we moved the likes of Vega near to the edge other abberations came into play and to take up on a Posted Point, it may well be the last 10 degrees, at the edge in not the worlds fastest flat field scope Vega looked like a pretty bright blue comet. I agree looking at a star edge of field with around X200 is not that clever but it soon highlights differences

Now they are different types of eyepiece so maybe that is unfair but I am sure if I had a 5mm Nagler a similar differences would be there to see. What am going to say now is not a very good test, infact is is somewhat unrealiable,  but say it I will, from memory I thought my old Meade 4.7mm UWA was a better eyepiece, I wish I had had it to hand because many of use think these ranges from ExSc and Meade are the same, I am really not so sure. One thing that was different was the price M4.7mm 179 pounds ExSc 119 Eu's.

For me ExSc are not as good a Pentax and TeleVue as I can see things wrong with them, agreed I am looking for faults, however I still feel they represnt very good value for money and will suit many people.

Archived