Looking for a decent, first eyepiece for the Altair 102mm APO

Hi All,

Saving up the pennies for a decent EP for when I finally get the Altair APO 102mm f7 refractor.

What do members think would be a good, first EP? I want to invest in a decent one, but not TeleVue prices!

I am thinking maybe a wide FOV, 80 degrees or so. I like the Vixen LVWs at around £180.00

Any feedback, advice on the EPs?

Cheers 

Nick

£180 is a Tele Vue price on the used market. You can get a Nagler for that or a Delos. Radians can be found used for around £100. 

If you buy new then the suggestions above will get you close to Tele Vue performance as has been said.

£180 is a Tele Vue price on the used market. You can get a Nagler for that or a Delos. Radians can be found used for around £100. 

If you buy new then the suggestions above will get you close to Tele Vue performance as has been said.

Thanks for the advice...I dream of TeleVue optics!

I have the ES 24mm 82' Argon purged mentioned by Aldeberan above in my Altair 102 APO. Stunning. It's a bit over your budget though if you can find one! I got the last one at a well known dealership.

I have the ES 24mm 82' Argon purged mentioned by Aldeberan above in my Altair 102 APO. Stunning. It's a bit over your budget though if you can find one! I got the last one at a well known dealership.

Thanks for the info. Are you pleased with the scope? I have ordered one from my local Astro shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 20mm Nagler is tack sharp to the edge of its 82° field and will give a dark sky background with superb contrast. Its an amazingly good eyepiece for a 4" Apo and is worth every penny. The 24mm Panoptic is another superb performer well worth consideration. Another would be the 20mm Pentax XW which gives a wonderfully transparent view.

Mike

Archived