SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to expect with modded camera on Galaxy targets?

Having had my Canon 1100D recently modified with a Baader BCF 1 filter (thanks Juan!)

I am looking for targets to test the camera out on.

Now there are not a great deal of large Nebulas around at the moment so I have short listed a few targets. (I am sticking to wide field targets as I will be using my WO Star 71 refractor)

I will most likely go with Bodes Nebula for a couple of reasons. One is that I have been using this as a benchmark comparison for my new Canon (pre-modded) against my old camera so its makes sense to continue this.
Secondly it’s in a good location for me to image at the moment.

My question is should I be expecting much of a difference with a ‘modded’ camera?

I realise galaxies are quite different objects to image as opposed to nebula’s so I am not expecting that much if any difference. I understand the Baader Filter will help remove unwanted UV and certain IR wavelengths which may reduce star bloat.

Does anyone have any experience’s with comparing the two setups i.e. modded camera and a non modded camera on Galaxies?

Thanks

On the whole it won't make much difference on galaxies but any prominent HII regions will show up more clearly. M81 has a few but they aren't particularly large and won't be obvious. It really will make a huge difference on emission nebula though, I really struggled to get any colour out of my camera before it was modded. Here's a quick comparison I did on the Heart Nebula if you are interested, with some caveats.

I also had my camera modified by Juan at Cheap Astrophotography.

Thanks for the info. Nice comparison and looks like your Blog is starting to take shape nicely. I did another quick check on tonight's targets and I can see that the North American Nebula is at around 28 degrees at around 11pm tonight rising to 32 degrees by midnight. Not an ideal altitude but maybe a more worthwhile exercise as this I believe is a good option for modified cameras.

I have been imaging Bodes Nebula so much recently that I need to perhaps take a break from it!

Thanks Sunka that's quite a noticeable difference.

Will see how it goes. Just double checked the North American Nebula may be a bit too low (blocked by a building) until around 1am which is pushing things for a weekday :sad:

Hi,

Since using a modded 1200d the difference on targets like the Heart Neb is huge but I can't really see any differences on galaxies - it's just the reds that it pulls out. Hope that you are well.

Peter

post-35423-0-44104300-1432119071_thumb.j

Elephants Trunk nebula  IC1396 in Cepheus (I think) is in an area with quite a bit of nebulosity and fairly high up ATM.

I recently purchased a WO Star 71 but not got much use out of it, be interested to see your results.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Strangely that is exactly what I am looking at the moment. Will be up at 31 degrees from 23.00 rising to 40 or so degrees by 1am so not too terrible. Plus its huge so should suit the WO 71 nicely. I am planning to get a Canon EOS CLS clip filter in a week or two so until then I will have to keep the exposures times down. Though no idea where to start other than trial and error.

Its also the worst part of the sky for me. It looking towards London / Croydon (Approx 20 miles away) which are bathed in permanent LP. Still will perhaps give it a go its really more of a test so not expecting much from it.

IC1396 is the Elephant's Trunk if you put in the co-ords for it you should find it, other stuff in the big area of neb.

Also a few nice double / triple stars in the area

Dave

hoping to get a bit of AP action in myself this weekend and fancy a bit of nebulosity too - is there an NGC number just for the trunk itself ?  the whole of IC1396 is going to be too big for my focal length

I believe the trunk is referred to as IC1396A, while IC1396 is the entire nebula. The trunk itself is quite close to the star HD 206267, which is the ionization source.

Not a lot of HA in most galaxies, M101 maybe, I've been working on M63 and done a few HA subs to see if there's anything worth adding, not got round to processing yet, hoping for one more clear night :)

Dave

Archived