Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many belts?

After making a sketch of Jupiter a few days ago, I was impressed at the number of belts visible. I also thought it would be nice if someone could provide an image of the planet at around the same time and date for comparison.

The details are as follows:

Jupiter

7/5/2015

21.30UT

FC 100 DC

X 148 (5mm Pentax XW)

Seeing = 2 Antoniadi

Tak prism diagonal view.

The red spot should be viewed bottom left!

Mike

post-41880-0-13273500-1431600282_thumb.j

Thanks for pointing that great image out Stu. The number of belts imaged appears to correspond well with the view through the scope, which is good.

Though the drawing is the wrong way up in the post, it was drawn with north to the top, so its a mirror view compared to the image. It certainly appears that if we could rotate the planet until the red spot was near to the left limb in the image, the detail would be a close match.

Years ago I used to draw while looking through my scopes without the use of a diagonal, but today, with the onset of dry rot and woodworm, its a real pain in the neck. One of the penalties of using refractors I suppose!

Thanks to all for the kind comments. :-)

Mike

Archived