SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need help choosing a refractor.

Hi all, i am looking for some help with which refractor to buy for AP. I don't have any Astronomy equipment at all atm but in 2 weeks time i will be buying an AZ-EQ6. I have been reading the posts on SGL for ages and i can see many people like many different refractors so its hard to settle on just one. I see the SW ED80's produce wonderful images , but does the Esprit 80 triplet produce better images under the same conditions? Or would a different doublet apo for around the same price as the Esprit be better then the Esprit? I know i am jumping the gun a bit here as i have next to no experience with  AP and i know it requires knowledge and skill to create great images but i would like to get it right first time if possible. 

Ps I wouldn't want to spend more then £1000 for the frac and reducer/flattner if needed.

Thanks, Jason.

The ED100 is a little slow perhaps at f9?

I'm sure the 80mm Esprit would give you excellent results, and it is faster than the ED80, f5 vs f7.5.

FLO have some good savings on at the moment.... Under £1k would give you the Esprit plus flattener

If you can afford it, I would think the Esprit will give you better results.

However..... I'm not an imager, just going on what I've learnt from the forum. Perhaps a specific post on the imaging section might get more attention from the imagers?

My understanding is that the Equinox 100 and 120 have the same doublet objectives as the ED Pro 100 and 120. The 80mm Equinox has an ED doublet objective which is similar but faster than the ED80 Pro.

Hi Dave, are you pleased with your Equinox? Does the focuser hold your imaging kit ok? It's one to consider I think.

Jason.

Hi, yes very pleased but then I bought it because I wanted an astro and terrestrial scope and it fits my requirements. It is never going to match the big guns for planets the FL is too short but I like being able to set up in a few minutes, look/shoot for an hour of so and then pack away just as fast. It all depends on what your main subjects are likely to be, planets, widefield? One scope isn't going to cover everything. Being a frictional focuser the weight of a DSLR, extension and maybe an eyepiece or barlow can be an issue especially if you are aiming high in the sky. I had to tighten the focuser screws when I first used it and use the lock screw to prevent any movement once I have focused. I am sure there are better arrangements but it wouldn't stop me buying the same scope again.

My understanding is that the Equinox 100 and 120 have the same doublet objectives as the ED Pro 100 and 120. The 80mm Equinox has an ED doublet objective which is similar but faster than the ED80 Pro.

The SW ED80 Pro is f7.5 the SW Equinox ED80 is f6.25.

The SW ED80 Pro is f7.5 the SW Equinox ED80 is f6.25.

Yes, thats what I meant - the Equinox is faster but uses the same Ohara FPL-53 + Schott glass mating element objective design.

The William Optics GT81 is better than the Equinox and you can get the dedicated flattener will within your budget. It has a really nice R&P focuser which is very solid even with a DSLR attached.

Archived