GRS looking good - 12th May 2015

Stu

I've been having some lovely views of the GRS this evening, even though it's still pretty light out there. Venus and Jupiter were possible to pick up once the scope indicated their position.

I'm using the Vixen 150ED tonight at around x180 and there is some lovely detail visible. The GRS has a very nice orange pink colour to it (to my eyes!) and the separation where it nestles into the SEB is very clear. There is quite a lot of detail in the SEB itself, dark festoons whilst a number of the northern and southern temperate belts are also visible plus the darker polar regions. All in all, very nice viewing.

It always amazes me just how quickly it moves too! It's heading off the disk as we speak ;-)

Hope some of you managed a look, weather seems very settled here at the moment.

Yep, I was having a look earlier on as well. I was using my 16" and the seeing didn't seem that good so I think you've got a better view of the GRS with your vixen. Venus was quite nice though. :)

Thanks Richard. The seeing seemed better here than yesterday when it was horrid! Happy with the views tonight, I don't know why but I'm having much more success seeing colour in it at the moment, I'm getting it clearly in the 4" too. I had them side by side which was a nice comparison.

I agree about Venus. I've never really had much time for it before, but it's quite enjoyable watching the phase. I suppose because it is around maximum elongation it's up out of the muck more at the moment. Usually I just see a shimmering mass of white and colour!

I started looking at jove at 120x and it was ok but as soon as I switched to more power it got worse. I can usually manage 150x without too much trouble. Perhaps the scope hadnt cooled enough as well. I only looked at Venus to align the finder as it was too light to see anything else at the time. Pleased I did, because as you say the phase was quite clear and stable, I even considered getting my DSLR but thought it'd be a bit small. I'm going out again in a minute to have a scout around. :)

Thanks Richard. The seeing seemed better here than yesterday when it was horrid! Happy with the views tonight, I don't know why but I'm having much more success seeing colour in it at the moment, I'm getting it clearly in the 4" too. I had them side by side which was a nice comparison. I agree about Venus. I've never really had much time for it before, but it's quite enjoyable watching the phase. I suppose because it is around maximum elongation it's up out of the muck more at the moment. Usually I just see a shimmering mass of white and colour!

Tips on seeing the phase? I just see a ridiculously bright ball of light that dazzles 

Thanks Richard. The seeing seemed better here than yesterday when it was horrid! Happy with the views tonight, I don't know why but I'm having much more success seeing colour in it at the moment, I'm getting it clearly in the 4" too. I had them side by side which was a nice comparison. I agree about Venus. I've never really had much time for it before, but it's quite enjoyable watching the phase. I suppose because it is around maximum elongation it's up out of the muck more at the moment. Usually I just see a shimmering mass of white and colour!

Tips on seeing the phase? I just see a ridiculously bright ball of light that dazzles 

I can only suggest sticking a bit more magnification on it. It's a tough target, I assume you are using a newt? The phase was very clear to me tonight so give it another go, perhaps try a neutral density filter or moon filter to cut the glare?

I can only suggest sticking a bit more magnification on it. It's a tough target, I assume you are using a newt? The phase was very clear to me tonight so give it another go, perhaps try a neutral density filter or moon filter to cut the glare?

Yeah A Dob.

I think I may need some sort of filter to cut the glare.

I hope your taking good care of that vixen I know I will never own one,after cutting all gardens and hedges and four ice colds of the black stuff would not go out with the 200p let alone a atlux I,m glad your happy(am I green or just green and black---not)I lied.Good luck!

Yep, I was having a look earlier on as well. I was using my 16" and the seeing didn't seem that good so I think you've got a better view of the GRS with your vixen. Venus was quite nice though. :)

The seeing was dismal here also. The transparency and high number of stars on show tempted me in to setting up at midnight despite having had a busy day but I threw in the towel by 1:30 after realising it wasn't warm optics turning the stars in to planetary nebulas. 

Archived