NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shuttle fleet grounded

russ

Well that looks like it for a while. As soon as the current mission ends, all shuttle missions are suspended indefinate.

Due to that large piece of foam falling away during in launch Nasa have decided to ground the entire shuttle fleet again.

I wonder if we'll ever see the shuttle perform a successful run of missions again or is it doomed to the same fate as Hubble.

Russ

Sounds about right! The ISS could be in serious trouble now. A few months ago the other ISS parters were starting to make noises that they couldn't service the ISS without the shuttles.

Such a shame...

Ant

I heard a clip on the news on the way to work.

Not had a chance to dig around , does anyone know where the foam came from?

I understand that there is no danger to the crew - at least, let's hope not.

Darren

The foam came from the fuel tank, just about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom, next to the oxygen supply line-the big pipe that runs the length of the tank. It was a fairly large chunk, but missed the shuttle, so no damage or danger to the crew is evident.

It's a huge shame they have to suspend flights for now, but I'm confident they can overcome this and get back in the air. Hopefully soon.

As for ISS, well, maybe I shouldn't start.

Archived