NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting options for my binos

Run45

Hi,

I am pretty new at looking at the stars via binoculars but I recently just got myself a simple pair of 7x50s an am really happy at the results ...

Reading through the forums I understand that most people would just hand-hold these binoculars and or use a monopod but there are couple of things I would really

like to do that I currently can't easily.

1) Share my view's easily with my 5 year old daughter (I dont think she could handle a monopod)

2) Switch between looking at my star-chart and my current view in the binoculars (=want the binoculars to stay in position while I look things up on the map)

3) Sit in the garden-chair and look through the binoculars without needing to hold them (=and have a more stable image too)

So all of this led to investigate P-mounts.

Beeing not very skillful to build one myself it looks like the only options are

a) Orion Paragon Plus

B) something from the Universal Astronomics range (which one?!?)

I orginally thought the Orion option should be more than enough even if I upgrade to 15x70s in the near future but looking at the photos of the Orion if it would be good enough.

The thing that bothers me most with the Orion is that the L-mount seems to be paralell to the paralellogram so I wont be able to put the tripot next to my sun/star loungers and look at somthing ahead of me (with my legs streched out).

The UA mounts seem to have the binocular mounted perpenticular to the paralellogram if I understood all the pictures correctly which would avoid this " ...

Also looking at a lot of promotion shots of the Orion it looks like tall people end up still quite close the tripod while observing (and that is one of the thing  I would like to avoid)...

Unfortunatly those UA mounts seems to be a lot more expensive and harder to order in the UK ... also there are so many options (additional hinges etc)

As you might guess from the above : I am quite confused at the moment what to get ...

Thanx in advance for any comments

The Horizon tripod has a small thread screw on the base (1/4'' thread), for most heads, you will need to use a thread adapter.

Just so you know if you decide to replace the stock Horizon pan and tilt head with something else.

I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EUD1O4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

These are hardened steel, not aluminum.

IMO a far better bet than the Horizon is the tripod/trigger-grip combo such as the Ravelli or Amazon Basics (whichever works out cheaper for you - prices fluctuate, but they are the same beast) The trigger-grip head can be used with other tripods or monopods if you decide to change. At today's price for the Amazon one (£31), you'd be hard pushed to find the trigger-grip head alone for less!

thanx for all the comments.... 

That amazon basic offer looks really tempting!!

P-mounts are probably overkill at the moment but will keep them in mind once upgrading to bigger binoculars

I use the Ravelli tripod/trigger grip combo that Steve linked to above with my 15x70's. I've started to observe standing up because it's easier to switch between the charts and viewing the sky. Im about 5'8" and it's tall enough to allow easy observation to an altitude of about 75 degrees- have to bend my knees a bit above that.

>I've started to observe standing up because it's easier to switch between the charts and viewing the sky.

I am curious how you handle the logistic of this. Holding charts, monopod, red-light etc. I would have assumed table+sitting will be easier.

I'm abount 186cm so assume i will have to sit down anyway 

Ordered the tripod/trigger +cheap monopod via Steve's website (assumed that will help him a little bit).. should arrive soon... 

will report back... 

Good spot- didn't quite make i clear. I use a tale for charts, but it all gets a bit cramped because the table legs, chair legs, tripod legs and my legs all want to occupy the same space when sitting. If standing, then it's easy to step to the side review the charts and then go back to the eyepieces.....

It's all a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you.....

>A music stand is great for charts

That is a really great idea. Thanx for that!

Tried the tripod/trigger head yesterday. I really liked the trigger head. Very easy to move the binoculars to the right spot and then lock everthing in place.

Now I need to learn more about the best ways to setup the tripod (so many ways to achieve the same hight etc).

Thanx for all the advice.

For sheer observing comfort, it's a homemade binocular mirror-mount for me. An objection to mirror-mounts is that they give an inverted image, but so does a Newtonian reflector and no-one seems to moan about that.

First-surface mirrors can be obtained at: www.scientificmirrors.co.uk .

• 2 weeks later...

thought I should update the thread since I tried now my monopod/tripod etc.

Really like the monopod+trigger head for overhead observation ... I thought I would be too tall but it all works nicely. The tripod is better for better stability but its hard to look at things that are almost overhead.

I also got myself a music stand + lights and painted the lights red. works fine. I have made myself a mask to recreate the field of view of my binoculars on the sky charts. Planning now to add some magnets to the mask so it stays in place while

I look through the binoculars.

Thanx for all the help

Good to see more members of the trigger-grip & monopod club! :grin:

The instructions that come with the trigger-grip are usually pretty dire, so I've written a more comprehensive instruction manual which you can download from the "Choosing & Using" section of my website. Hoping that serves to increase enjoyment of the thing... :laugh:

thanx steve for the link to the instructions ..

>Planning now to add some magnets to the mask so it stays in place while

Finished my diy field of view mask with magnets to I can leave the book in the music stand and have the mask stay in place. Attaching photos.

post-43880-0-23846900-1433234236_thumb.j

post-43880-0-45412300-1433234255_thumb.j

Dammit...the 222 has gone. Hope someone here got it!  :bino1:

They come up on eBay relatively frequently. Well worth it if you can get one in good condition. They are a clear step-up in quality from the Weifeng ones. They also have an adjustment that enables you to alter the tension on the ball when the trigger is activated.

They come up on eBay relatively frequently. Well worth it if you can get one in good condition. They are a clear step-up in quality from the Weifeng ones. They also have an adjustment that enables you to alter the tension on the ball when the trigger is activated.

You were spot on Steve :) Just bagged another 222 for £29. Picking up tomorrow so roll on clear, er, binocular skies! :D

The Manfrotto 222 grip is now installed on my monopod. Seems a very well-made, sturdy bit of engineering -  I'm surprised to read that the max payload is only 2.5kg - appears that it may be able to hold somewhat more (so of course I will try it on my 90 Mak!) 

In a quick daylight test, the 222/pod with my Tento 20x60 was nice and stable, watching planes curve in toward Heathrow. Very good grip, so far. And for £29, a stone bargain.

I also splashed out on a used Manfrotto 075 tripod, so the 222/075 combo should be a beefy one offering ( I hope ) a solid platform for bins and little scope :)

The 222 is fab with my 20×60, very stable. But blimey, even at its lowest setting the grip sure gives me a hand-workout. Must be my soft, effete city fingers! Tis a great grip tho and you're right scarp, a real steal...

Next week, 222 vs 90 Mak - I'll be *exhausted*!

Archived