SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quark- first light

Zakalwe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... what scope would be ideal to go with it?  Options I have at the moment...

-  Megrez 72 (no point I think as I have a 70mm solar filter so no gain in resolution)

-  Vixen 80mm f11 fl 910mm

-  Megrez 90mm f6.2 fl 558mm

[-  WO 123FLT but that's my imaging scope in the obs and I wouldn't want to be dismantling that all the time!]

Or to make it worthwhile do I need a 100mm or better 120mm?

Thanks

Helen

I would try your Megrez 90 first, the focal ratio and aperture are just about ideal. You should use an IR/UV cut filter on the front end of the diagonal for anything over 80mm.

Your Vixen is focal ratio is too high, but I would write off your Megrez 72mm, in fact it might make for an interesting comparison with your 70mm filter.

Most people seem to be suggesting that. Scope of around 100 to 100mm is optimum, but I prefer the idea of an 80 or 90 as the focal length starts to get a bit high once you go over 100mm and the FoV of the Quark starts to geta bit limiting.

Robin

So... what scope would be ideal to go with it?  Options I have at the moment...

-  Megrez 72 (no point I think as I have a 70mm solar filter so no gain in resolution)

-  Vixen 80mm f11 fl 910mm

-  Megrez 90mm f6.2 fl 558mm

[-  WO 123FLT but that's my imaging scope in the obs and I wouldn't want to be dismantling that all the time!]

Or to make it worthwhile do I need a 100mm or better 120mm?

Thanks

Helen

I would place my bet on your Megrez Helen as that F ratio is bang in the middle of what Daystar suggest the Quark is used with, but I would say that as mine is an F6 :grin:

I have now seen a plentiful supply of amazing images & I am also happy with my own but I to am now looking at this https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-152mm-f5.9-achromat-refractor-telescope-with-3-crayford-focuser.html, It would only be used for Solar but the reviews so far look very promising.

Okay my last post should have read 'don't write off your Megraz 72mm....'

I bought a second hand WO Zenithstar 80mm, mostly for solar and rate it as the finest scope I have owned. I know the Megrez is supposed to be the better scope so looks like you are sitting pretty as far as choice of quality scopes goes.

Robin

The bigger the aperture the more dependant on the seeing you become.

Up to 120mm you just need a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the Quark. Anything bigger, or where you are tracking the Sun, the Daystar recommends a front mounted ERF (starting to get into serious money then).

Good point about quadruplets....so the Bresser achros wouldn't be suitable (even though Opticstar says on their website that they are!).

Tricky one, Helen, the Quark is nice in any aperture but I personally love the level of resolution you get at around the 100mm mark upwards. I much prefer views with my ED100 (F9) and 120 (F7.5) than I do with my Tele Vue 85 (F7).

I got Quark mainly for detail and the extra detail is to my eye very obvious in the 100mm compared with the 85. I find the step up from 100 to 120mm to be not quite as impressive as from the 85 to100.

So for me, around 100mm upwards if possible. For observing I actually like using my 100mm the most, even though the 120 can show a little more. The 100 feels less bulky and is less of a handful on my giro mount, while still approaching the level of detail of the 120.

For imaging, I haven't used the 100. It's the same focal length as my 120, so I figure I might as well use the extra aperture. Also, if I am getting the goto mount out, then the 120 is not really much more hassle than the 100.

A 120mm could make sense as you already have a 70mm filter and 120mm is getting close to as big as you can go without having to get a front ERF.

For me it would make sense to try your 90mm first and take it from there?

Yes, the advantage is the flexibility to experiment - unlike my front filters which need an expensive custom made filter holder for each scope.  That and flexibility for travelling.

Helen

There is a rather wallet-tingling excitement permeating this excellent and informative thread. Yikes, I just bought a new car - but bookings are solid - aaahhhhggg!

Olly

Olly...you know that you want one!

Ahh, sure, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan

4b91fe7d-5cb4-4403-b918-a99b3798ccdc.jpg

I've got an ASI174 incoming. Who needs savings anyway??? :eek:

There is a rather wallet-tingling excitement permeating this excellent and informative thread. Yikes, I just bought a new car - but bookings are solid - aaahhhhggg!

Olly

The Force is strong Olly, if you think about the Q more than once a day your subconscious is telling you go get one :grin:

Olly...you know that you want one!

Ahh, sure, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan

4b91fe7d-5cb4-4403-b918-a99b3798ccdc.jpg

I've got an ASI174 incoming. Who needs savings anyway??? :eek:

Gosh if Mrs Doyle has got one, there is no excuse Olly.

Robin

Oh, word filter word filter word filter!

What an excellent addition to the lexicon is 'word filter.' I wonder how long it will be before it is banned by the word filter?

:grin: lly

Hey, not only did I buy a new car recently but, today, that madman O'Donoghue reminded me that I have just ordered from him a print of our own Orion image which will sting me for 400 euros. He sent me a picture of the picture. (I told you he was a madman!) Mind you, it is a heck of a print. Monique is looking doubtful about the size of our walls... Oh dear, the trouble I'm in.I really don't need any more. But clearly I do need a Quark.

Word filter word filter word filter  word filter.

FADE TO BLACK

365 Astronomy are showing 2 in stock.

Must be annoying for the dealer stuck in the middle having to keep sending them back and forth, would have thought the quality control would be better by now but after the 1.25 eyepiece fitting being the wrong size and not picked up at the manufacturing stage it makes you wonder.

Have to say though that I'm completely happy with my Quark, amazing images for the price.

Dave

365 Astronomy are showing 2 in stock.

Must be annoying for the dealer stuck in the middle having to keep sending them back and forth, would have thought the quality control would be better by now but after the 1.25 eyepiece fitting being the wrong size and not picked up at the manufacturing stage it makes you wonder.

Have to say though that I'm completely happy with my Quark, amazing images for the price.

Dave

Takes a bit fiddling Dave but as you say you get to see something you wouldn't normally.

Helen, yikes! I can only say, I would still get one, I would get it from APM in my case as they were super about the problem one. Yes, a problem one, annoying, but the replacement is a peach and I would not sell it for double the price.

Yes Luke, APM are on my list too - no stock at the moment but expected in a few weeks. 365 show stock, but this is certainly the case of wanting to be sure about aftercare!

Helen

I've ordered a few items from 365 over the years, always have delivered promptly but I have never had the need to send anything back so can't comment on after care. Is this for visual too or mainly imaging? For imaging I think you'd be unlucky to have a non-starter. I returned two early on but they were for faults in the wider eyepiece view, they imaged perfectly fine with my Grasshopper 3 (1/1.8) chip.

Archived