Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Messier object...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would +1 the telrad, they are really useful bits of kit, definitely if you are struggling to find things, as eventually your going to lose confidence and not want to go out. I use one and would not be without it. You can get telrad maps which over lay the 3 rings on the object and you basically match that up to real life.

I have attached the telrad map for M42, as you have said you've seen this, so should make more sense in your head.

Link to all Messier telrads - http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders

Matt.

post-21702-0-25552100-1431589688.jpg

I would +1 the telrad, they are really useful bits of kit, definitely if you are struggling to find things, as eventually your going to lose confidence and not want to go out. I use one and would not be without it. You can get telrad maps which over lay the 3 rings on the object and you basically match that up to real life.

I have attached the telrad map for M42, as you have said you've seen this, so should make more sense in your head.

Link to all Messier telrads - http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders

Matt.

I posted further up ^^ saying that I had heard that Telrads were good and that I was waiting for one to be delivered.

Well, it's here! I used it last night for the first time and am really impressed. I'd rather use it than the £59 Raci I have just bought.  In fact, my wife who has never had a go with manipulating a scope tried it out on Jupiter and hit it first time, dead-center in the eyepiece with very little effort.

Matt, no need to apologise!  I used your post just for the quote, and was just following up on my original post.

Funnily enough the thought of buying a laminator had crossed my mind. Looking at the online charts has made me realise how much there is out there. I've only really concentrated on planets with the occasional foray into Orion, but I have been looking at Lyra lately, with it's double-double, the Ring etc., and, as you say, the Telrad makes the hunt enjoyable.

"Maps by constellations" - any links?

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

I would think Stellarium, a Telrad, and the maps linked above would allow almost anybody to find any Messier, the only problem thats will arise is what's you LP like, what sort of scope is being used. my own Messier hunting i used a 10" reflector, a Telrad, and Stellarium maps, my garden is quite a dark place so the likes of M101 and M33 with low surface brightness can be found, with poor LP they might not come through.....

Archived