SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom Help

Hello,

I recently received a Baader Hyperion Zoom for use with my Celestron Nexstar 6SE. I have not had a chance to really get a good session in yet but wondered if the helpful folks of SGL can let me know if I've attached the eyepiece correctly. I've included a couple of pictures. I'm puzzled regards the screws on the diagonal. They seem to scrape the bottom of the zoom. Is this to be expected or have I got things wrong? Thanks in advance.

Scott.post-43674-143055360885_thumb.jpgpost-43674-143055361753_thumb.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Oh you mean they touch the zoom body. I have the Hyperion eyepieces and it does the same. I just mount them a bit out from the diagonal so the screw is still in the groove but they are not touching the body. Seems to be the way they are built.

Try taking the knurled ring that is scraping the screw off and putting it back on the other way around. Hopefully this should allow the 1.25" nose to get fully home into the diagonal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried turning the ring around but doing that means there is no thread for the nosepiece to screw into. @ianm2k4 thanks for the tip. I'll back the eyepiece off a little from now on.

Scott

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Same recommendation as Ianm - as long as you keep the screws within the groove. I've also just upgraded to the baader click lock 2" diagonal and hopefully that is a better connection.

Let me know how that goes. I am thinking of getting the 2" diagonal.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but I'm having the same problem as the OP, and I wonder if a longer screw is available somewhere. TIA.

Does Europe have big box home improvement centers or well stocked hardware stores?  I went into my local Home Depot or Lowes and found that either an M3 or M4 (can't remember which) socket head cap screw was the right size to replace mine.  Bring in your screw and diagonal and find something that fits.  If they come in nylon, get that.  Next, try for brass over steel (brass is softer, won't mar as much).  If either metal, screw the screw in backwards and file off the sharp edges on the end outside the eyepiece holder, making it as round as possible to reduce pitting your eyepieces barrels.  Then back it out to recut the possibly damaged threads and rethread it in the right way.  Bang!  You've got a longer screw for cheap.

On 02/03/2016 at 18:04, ntc said:

Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but I'm having the same problem as the OP, and I wonder if a longer screw is available somewhere. TIA.

i had exactly the problem that you are having when i purchased my hyperion zoom, and settled it once and for all with the longer screw for my diagonal.

http://www.teleskop-austria.at/shop/index.php?m=2&kod=M4x10R&lng=de&tab=6

Archived