NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

single target or hedge my bets?

All

Going to have a go at capturing a galaxy or cluster or both.

Do i go for a single target and go for it or grab frames for several targets.

I have an olympus e-500  with 2x barlow @ prime focus on a celestron 130 reflector mounted to an exos2 mount

Ideally id like a globular cluster such as m3 or 13 and a spiral like m51 or 101 by the end of the session (clouds permitting)

I can go with bulb mode but i have no timer as yet and only usininfrared remote firing of the shutter so 1 min exposures are better for now.

All advice thankfully recieved

Steve

I'd probably stick with one target and get as many good subs as I could checking for star trailing and other issues as I go. For me - there never seems to be enough time so I usually come up short on data but that's LRGB which requires four separate sets of subs (not including darks if you use them). I've found things don't always go as smooth as planned so I try and set realistic goals since I'm still learning.  :)

I think you may need longer than 1 min subs whatever you decide but maybe it's different with DSLR's. I've found with my CCD - it takes a decent number of 5 - 10 min subs to yield enough data to produce an acceptable image...

Yep plans went arwy pretty quickly. Got abour 10 1 min subs of m3 but as ever dss cant find enough stars.

But i did get a cpl of sketches done of m3 and mizar/alcor.

You can adjust how DSS handles the RAW files in the settings to make them brighter, this can help DSS find stars if you are using short subs. Or just stack in different software. Too many stars is also a frustrating one in DSS when it decides the DSLR noise is stars and takes half an hour to count them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I started I used to do four images per night. Then I moved to doing one image in four nights. And then this year, with a friend, I completed the 'one image in four years' project and, at last, I feel I've arrived!

:grin: lly

I would concentrate on one target per night and stick with globulars to start with. With a Barlow in the optical train you will need exposures four times as long to get the same result as without it for extended objects like galaxies. I am shooting M51 at the moment and have a little over 6hours at f/5 and it isn't finished yet.

Get yourself a remote timer (you find them on eBay for about £15) as this will make capture much easier. You might be shaking the mount with the bulb release. DSS doesn't like stars that are trailed too much. You can just set it going, then hang the remote from the mount and don't have to touch it again until the end of the run.

At f/10 you are going to want an hour or two at least on target. More if you are limited to 1 min subs. Keep at it though because it's a great feeling when you get a nice image :)

Thanks all. Slowly and surly gathering kit. Got a few remote releases on watch for payday.

Just had to buy another body as the 500 only provides for infra red and not cable release and has no live view. so ive got a 510 now which has cable and liveview.

I know it not a canon but a system change is just to expensive.

But now i can use one body on the dso and one for widefield :)

Alas clouds came in last night. But i now feel im getting closer

As long as you are collecting good subs I'd stick to one target for as long as reasonably possible as well...there is a point of diminishing returns but to control noise you can't have enough data.

At the end of the day the choice is what you prefer. If we had a lot of imaging opportunities in the UK then generally these types of questions wouldn't be asked.

If you intend to image everything out there, no point spending too much time on one target otherwise you won't get anywhere. On the other hand if you want to get a few images as good as you can get them then stick to a smaller number of targets a year.

It is a learning curve too, by imaging several targets you will learn quickly the limitations of your kit and this will allow you to pick the most suitable targets to spend a lot of time on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived