Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this next to jupiter?

russp

Took this last tuesday - Jupiter with the beehive cluster (astrobin link http://astrob.in/176320/0/) but I'm wondering what the blue thing next to jupiter is - some sort of odd lens artifact? I was taken with a 50mm lens on a crop sensor dslr piggy backed on my scope - 20 30sec frames combined and stretched in pixinsight and post processed in photoshop

16659807393_7661b4d7aa_o_d.jpg

NGC 2749 ?

The star cluster in your image seems to match the one around NGC 2749 in the image from deep sky browser and is in the same place on sky safari.

It's certainly in the right place according to the astrobin plate solving but it just looked too bright/defined? I did wonder if perhaps it was a combination of the 3 or 4 galaxies all very close at that point.

It's certainly in the right place according to the astrobin plate solving but it just looked too bright/defined? I did wonder if perhaps it was a combination of the 3 or 4 galaxies all very close at that point.

Yes I thought it looked too bright as well and perhaps too big. The DSS photos is in a 10' x 10' square. Maybe the light from the galaxies has somehow caused the optical or processing artefact. Interesting none the less :)

Archived