NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron XCEL LX eyepieces?

This is my first post and I am hoping that you can help me!

I have recently bought a Celestron 6" Evolution SCT which I am very pleased with (it really is as good as the marketing suggests!).

I am now looking to upgrade the two eyepieces supplied with the scope as I assume that because they are bundled with the scope that they are ok - but could be better,  as I want to make the most of the optics (that according to the reviews that I have read have an excellent reputation).

I am looking at buying a couple of high power eyepieces for planetary viewing: The scope comes bundled with 13mm (= 115x) and a 40mm (= 38x) Celextron eyepieces, and I am looking at higher powers.

I am considering the Celestron X-CEL LX range of eyepieces as the wide field of view and 6 element design looks very good and am considering a 5mm and a 7mm.

However for not much more money I can get a set of 6 boxed Celestron 4 element Plossls and wondered if they might be better value ? But will more eyepieces for similar money not work out to be such a bargain?

Or is there a better range of eyeieces that I could be considering?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Many thanks

Simon

Personally i would never buy an eyepiece kit, though I understand Celsetron Plossl eyepieces are not bad. I believe the others you considered are much better.

However I feel the 5mm would be too much power for you, close to x300, the 7mm would be good on nights of decent seeing but for me that would be my top end.

There are many other eyepieces on the market and with your scope being F10 you need not empty your wallet buying top draw eyepieces like Pentax and Televue, nice though they are. Take a look at Maxvision eyepieces and see if there is something there for you, these once cost much more money as they were an old Meade cancelled order, most of these i have owned so I know they are good and I do also have a slower F10 scope.

Baader Hyperions work well at F10 and are a nice eyepiece with a 68 degree FOV but are not so good in an F 5 scope. The normal advice given though again I have never had one is to upgrade to BST's which are about 50 pound each and judging by the amount that have them punch more than their weight.

Alan.

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your reply and advice.

I did have reservations about buying a kit of eyepieces - the price for that many eyepieces did seem too good to be true!

I appreciate your advice about not buying the 5mm - I don't want to push the scope too far: Celestron list the maximum magnification as 354x but I assume that that is in perfect conditions.

The dealer that I got my scope from recommended BSTs but I wasn't sure as I wondered if he had a vested ionterest in recommending those, however now that you have mentioned them I shall take a closer look at them.

Many thanks for your help!

Simon

Hello simon,

bst starguider s work very well for me. I find them really comfortable. I have 4 and use them all.

I see you mentioned celestron plossl, currys have celestron omni at clearance price of 9.97 for 9mm 12.5mm and 15,

If you do go for starguiders i can strongly recommend contacting dealer prior to ordering as he is open to negotiations.

Ultramarine s is my army of choice.

al

Hi, BST's are very good for how much they cost, I've owned the full set in the past. They get very good reviews. The BST 8mm will give you 187x with your scope which should be good for planets :)

I'd recommend the Baader Classic orthos of around the same price because optically they are right up there with the best, but they are a bit narrower on the field of view, so maybe the extra 10 degrees of the BST's would be better. The BST's are also better on eye relief if you need glasses to observe. 

For planetary I would say the X-Cels, simply they have the 5mm, 7mm, 9mm and 12mm, so a reasonable choice for when say the 7mm doen't work the 9mm should.

The BST's are less cost and the BST's and X-Cels seem to perform as close to identical as you will get from what is reported.

The BST's are in 5mm, 8mm 12mm - not quite as many options.

It is the choice of more focal lengths that makes me suggest the X-Cels even though they are £10 more each.

I concur with Alan's post. Buying a set you will probably end up using one or two EPs. Now to be controversial on the the Cel Xcel EPs. The claim is that the eye relief is comfortable. Yes the eye relief is good if you wear specs for example but for me I really struggle getting a decent view, I much prefer my Celestron Omni plossls (15 and 40mm). The best planetary views I get are through my Baader Hyperion 10 mm. I just sold my 8 mm as its is just a tad short for my C9.25.

Hi Al

Many thanks for the heads up on the Celestron Omnis on special offer at Currys (Currys?!!): I've just ordered one each of 9mm, 12.5mm, 15mm & 40mm for £47.88 - in two online retailers the same eyepieces would have cost over £130!! Many thanks for the heads up!!

Ultramarines? Give me the Raven Guard or Relictors any day!

Kind regards

Simon

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions & comments - this is my first post and you have all been very helpful and supportive, and have not made me feel as much of a newbie as I am!.

I have just ordered some Celestron Omnis - mainly because I can get them from Currys for £9.97 each (Thanks for the tip Al!).

The Celestrons will certainly be an improvement on the stock eyepieces that came with my scope, and I can then look at upgrading in the future.

Regards

Simon

Hi Al

Many thanks for the heads up on the Celestron Omnis on special offer at Currys (Currys?!!): I've just ordered one each of 9mm, 12.5mm, 15mm & 40mm for £47.88 - in two online retailers the same eyepieces would have cost over £130!! Many thanks for the heads up!!

Ultramarines? Give me the Raven Guard or Relictors any day!

Kind regards

Simon

Simon,

im glad you managed to get a bargain, im sure you will notice the difference, i have a set if meade 4000 plossl and enjoy the views and think they will be the similar or the same as your new ep s

2nd or 4th company! Im also working on some DA,

al

The Celestron Omni's are good for that price. They are around the same quality as the standard Skywatcher plossl except that their barrels are made of aluminum rather than chrome plated brass so they are light. The performance of the ones I've tried seemed like a typical plossl except the 4mm which was awful. I took it apart and found that the lenses were skewed when they were cemented together - no wonder the views were so poor !. I see that Curry's don't carry the 4mm Omni so you are safe there !

Archived