Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron or Meade

I a few months (six to be precise) I am buying an SCT. I am torn between Celestron and Meade. It will be a 14 inch OTA, since I have a robust and excellent mount. I have been reading some horror stories regarding Meade quality, but they are old posts. I shall appreciate clear and knowledgeable recommendations. Thanks for your help.

In the old posts both Meade and Celestron got criticised at one time or another.

True! Lately the financial difficulties Meade has been going through have not inspired much confidence, but the bandwidth in quality control (you hear of good and dud (OK, less good) SCTs from both manufacturers) may be broader than any systematic difference between the two brands. When I bought my GP-C8 Celestron had a distinct edge with the Vixen mount included. There is a very readable and extensive guide to buying second-hand SCTs here:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/used_sct.pdf

I have 2 Meade 16" SCT's and 1 12" SCT, I also have a Celestron 8se SCT. All 4 give very good images under suitable conditions. The electronics on the Meades have been temperamental so 2 are on alternative mounts. I would preferred to have purchased all Celestron but they don't make 12's and 16's.   :smiley: 

Agree with what's been said - Meade optics fine but problems with electronics/gears and customer service as they've been through financial problems - hopefully now they're more secure. By comparison, as a Celestron owner of just a few months, I've been very impressed with the robustness of Celestron products - and the customer support, certainly around the launch of the Nexstar Evolution range, has been impressive - much evidence of that on various forums.

Thanks to all. The main reason to consider Celestron or Meade is the availability of dealers. Buying a scope of certain price onwards requires (at least for me) the proximity of a distributor or dealer. I want to buy an SCT, and the only two with available dealers are those two. Now, being almost equal in quality (which seems to be the case), the only thing I would like to know is if Meade's larger central obstruction is something to consider relative to Celestron's smaller obstruction. I understand that Meade is f/8, while Celestron is f/11 (for the 14 inch), but is that central obstruction material when taking photos, both planetary and deep-sky?

I think in view of the fact you are looking at big toys here and what you are after is a little larger than mine, it is very well worth taking note of what Peter Drew has stated this man knows a great deal about these type of scopes. To pick up on a point Michael made, of late Meade have had problems, a few more than most companies, I am not convinced they are through the storm. I have a Meade 12 inch SC and it has been fine for 7 years or so but I guess you can have issues with either company.

I know you don't buy new to sell next day but these scope seem to have a very poor resale value.

Knowing what I know now I would have bought a large high quality Newtonian on a solid mount and had change in my pocket. 

alan

Archived