Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Pronto 70mm - First Light

I picked up one of these little beauties a few days ago. The build quality is superb and the first thing that surprised me is the weight for such a small scope. The action of the focuser on the Pronto is very smooth and precise. Quite remarkable for a scope that is probably 20 years old.

I got it home tonight and plonked it on my Giro III mount to have a look at Jupiter. The seeing isn't great here this evening as there is lots of fast moving cloud and obviously quite a lot of moisture in the air.

First up was the 21mm Ethos. The field is so wide with that combination that I didn't even need a finder :grin:  Jupiter and the four moons pinged into focus and looked quite majestic amongst a wide field of faint stars. There was a little CA visible around the disk so I added my Semi APO filter which solved the problem almost completely.

Next I jumped to the 8mm Ethos - what a fabulous view! The planetary disk is large enough to see detail clearly and the contrast between the planet and the jet black sky is remarkable, particularly considering the amount of light pollution we have around here.

Despite the bad seeing I decided to pump up the magnification by putting the Nagler 3-6mm Zoom in the diagonal. The view was excellent and very sharp at 6mm but rapidly deteriorated as I zoomed in. However, I spent a few minutes zoomed in to 3mm (180x) and watched while the seeing conditions took the planet in and out of focus. The disk was as big in the eyepiece than I have ever seen and in the brief moments when it snapped into focus it was simply stunning. Those few minutes have persuaded me to banish the thoughts I have been having about selling that zoom eyepiece.

I must say I am delighted with this purchase and now see why some others here have become hooked on great quality short refractors.

I'm looking forward to trying it with the Baader Herchel wedge tomorrow :cool2:

Nice report, Derek! I wish you a lot of fun with your TV Pronto! 

These small refractor have something unique, haven't they? ..and watching wide field through high quality optics is superb to me. So many stars, so much context.. wow! 

Nice report, Derek! I wish you a lot of fun with your TV Pronto!

These small refractor have something unique, haven't they? ..and watching wide field through high quality optics is superb to me. So many stars, so much context.. wow!

Wow indeed!

I forgot to mention that I also had a look at the Beehive Cluster and again it was a stunning view. I found it without using the finder again and I have just realised that a Tele Vue Pronto, an Everbright 2" diagonal and an Ethos 21mm is quite possibly the most decadent finder scope I will ever use :lol:

Oops! I have realised that I have typed 60mm instead of 70mm into the title of this thread. Doh! If a friendly Mod comes along perhaps they could fix that for me please?

Done [emoji3]

Is the TV Pronto 480mm? so you should have about 4.3 degrees with your ethos 21mm, if I am not wrong..

If so, that is the same I get with a panoptic 24mm + TV60. The view is just gorgeous 

Fabulous Derek, really pleased you are happy with it.

Welcome to the wonderful, and ruinously expensive world of lovely refractors :)

I too love the Widefield views, and rarely use a finder. Cracking at high power too as you've found.

Enjoy!

Here she is as part of my solar set-up - the views through the Pront, Ethos 13mm and Baader wedge are stunning - lots of detail around the sun spots and obvious graining across the surface of the disk.

post-33858-0-18708900-1429345210_thumb.j

For those with Ha set-ups it is worth digging them out this morning as there is lots of activity, including an enormous cloud that has detached itself from the top left hand limb (about 10 o'clock) as seen through a refractor. Beautiful.

I have one of these as well. Very affordable second hand and built to last a lifetime. I leave mine in the lounge with an erecting prism so we can all catch the wildlife by day. At night it gets used only for ultra-widefield but for that it is very hard to beat. Such a chunky little scope. Everyone should have one!

Olly

I have one of these as well. Very affordable second hand and built to last a lifetime. I leave mine in the lounge with an erecting prism so we can all catch the wildlife by day. At night it gets used only for ultra-widefield but for that it is very hard to beat. Such a chunky little scope. Everyone should have one!

Olly

Indeed. I think I can safely say this is the wisest £400 I have spent on Astro gear :grin:

Despite the bad seeing I decided to pump up the magnification by putting the Nagler 3-6mm Zoom in the diagonal. The view was excellent and very sharp at 6mm but rapidly deteriorated as I zoomed in. However, I spent a few minutes zoomed in to 3mm (180x) and watched while the seeing conditions took the planet in and out of focus. The disk was as big in the eyepiece than I have ever seen and in the brief moments when it snapped into focus it was simply stunning. Those few minutes have persuaded me to banish the thoughts I have been having about selling that zoom eyepiece.

Correction - on reflection those few minutes have persuaded me I need two or three high powered Delos eyepieces to fill that range :grin:

Great little scope derek, I would love something like that myself but the chance of picking up secondhand TV scopes here is about the same chance as Queen knocking on the door and asking for a cup of sugar.

Lovely scope I very pleased for you.

Alan

Archived